The further quotes from the Guardian dude would imply to me that the writer is more likely to be something of a snob rather than showing any actual insight into the 200 000 (or thereabouts) people that go to Glastonbury, at least based on the elements you have quoted. I feel quite saddened (though not entirely surprised) it should come from an 'open-minded', left wing paper though.
That further comment was form a Guardian reader and not the critic btw.
Yes, it was snobby, but I think he had a point. And was it really any more snobby than what we read here every day?! Millions of people buy Coldplay albums, but those numbers count for nothing in relation to the views held by many here.
There were, incidentally, also comments from people who'd enjoyed their set. The sheer numbers thing doesn't really matter to me - if you had asked the audience for their views of Suicide supporting Siouxsie & the Banshees in the late 80's, I reckon 95% would have said they were terrible (and at least half of them would have wanted to kill Vega & Rev!!), but the other 5%, myself included, thought it was one of the greatest things they had ever seen and I still get goose pimples just talking about it.