Which Kiss albums?

Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 18 9 10 11 12 13 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Re: Which Kiss albums?
Apr 20, 2012, 16:15
You're not telling me you actually like Van bloody Halen are you?

*runs away*
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Apr 20, 2012, 16:17
Squid Tempest wrote:
You're not telling me you actually like Van bloody Halen are you?

*runs away*

Yeah! DEAL WITH IT!

tee hee ;^)
keith a
9565 posts

Apr 20, 2012, 16:21
That was too long for me to bother reading in is entirity TBH, but I will say I reserve the right to dislike what I want. I also reserve the right to say I don't like something - like everyone else here does. I'm a bit baffled by your rather earnest post though - it seems at odds with your general irreverence about other acts and a little over-the-top in view of the general spirit of the posts on this thread.

As for Julian...So Julian Cope likes Kiss. And Julian Cope likes Van Halen. That's up to him, but yes I preferred it when he liked artists I could relate to. My love of Scott Walker is partly down to his Fire Escape In The Sky collection. A Kiss equivalent is not going to appeal to me, so our tastes have clearly parted ways. And yes I initially found it disappointing that someone I had admired so long could end up spouting a love for an act that I find too laughable for words. Take the cosy club here out of the equation and most older Cope fans I know feel the same way.

I'm wondering whether there is one rule for one act and another rule for another here. Alabama Shakes have got a right kicking here of late and that's presumably acceptable? They sound OK from what I've heard, but their main crime seems to be that they're not doing something that hasn't been done already and something which hasn't been done better.

Which lead us nicely back to Kiss...
paradox
paradox
1576 posts

Apr 20, 2012, 16:30
It's very interesting though.......

Most threads started on here average say between 10-20 posts!?
Start one on KISS and (Sonic) Boom!
I think the previous thread on KISS ended up with 150 odd posts.

Love em, or hate em, you can't help but debate em.

When I first joined this forum, I was very guilty of some of the points that you mention....ie, berating people for liking certain artists, etc.
I sat myself down and basically told myself to "Stop being such a cunting cunt"
I actually go red in the fizzhog when I think about it.

So, sorry for being a knob a few years ago and I actually now own a couple of Smiths albums........

See Keith.....It can be done....80)
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Edited Apr 20, 2012, 16:31
Apr 20, 2012, 16:31
I got as far as "that was too long"...

:-P
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Apr 20, 2012, 16:42
keith a wrote:
That was too long for me to bother reading in is entirity TBH, but I will say I reserve the right to dislike what I want. I also reserve the right to say I don't like something - like everyone else here does. I'm a bit baffled by your rather earnest post though - it seems at odds with your general irreverence about other acts and a little over-the-top in view of the general spirit of the posts on this thread.

As for Julian...So Julian Cope likes Kiss. And Julian Cope likes Van Halen. That's up to him, but yes I preferred it when he liked artists I could relate to. My love of Scott Walker is partly down to his Fire Escape In The Sky collection. A Kiss equivalent is not going to appeal to me, so our tastes have clearly parted ways. And yes I initially found it disappointing that someone I had admired so long could end up spouting a love for an act that I find too laughable for words. Take the cosy club here out of the equation and most older Cope fans I know feel the same way.

I'm wondering whether there is one rule for one act and another rule for another here. Alabama Shakes have got a right kicking here of late and that's presumably acceptable? They sound OK from what I've heard, but their main crime seems to be that they're not doing something that hasn't been done already and something which hasn't been done better.

Which lead us nicely back to Kiss...

You don't read it so you don't get it and that's not my (or anyone elses) problem Keith but yours. Sorry, but you clearly have a definite musical prejudice, not a simply a diversion of taste, that you occasionally like to inflict upon others that don't subcribe to your view. Not liking something is one thing. Having a definite problem when others do is another. Replace keywords in these various debates over the years with say "Wire" or "Magazine" and see how long it takes for that knee to twitch.

Your reply misses the point cos you chose not to read the post. If you wish to be routinely bullish about telling people why they shouldn't like something then expect responses. Personal taste doesn't come into it.

The Alabama Shakes point is blisteringly irrelevant to this issue as it stands.

But no hard feelin's guv. Just stop picking on us.
Kosmischeboy
Kosmischeboy
664 posts

Grand Funk....
Apr 20, 2012, 17:00
The Red Grand Funk album is one of my favourites ever! The one before it "On Time" is pretty cool too.

Which live album did you get? Cos the one with the black and white cover is mindblowingly good, i'm really surprised if you didn't like it!

That's this one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_Album_(Grand_Funk_Railroad_album)

This one not so good:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live:_The_1971_Tour

And this one is not at all good!!!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caught_in_the_Act_(Grand_Funk_Railroad_album)
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Apr 20, 2012, 17:16
Apr 20, 2012, 17:15
keith a wrote:

I think they are over-rated on the available evidence and I spent my own money reaching that conclusion. I was part of a discussion that centred on the fact that they are over-rated and that we have a right to expect critics to be more knowledgable of the pre 1977 world than many are and more circumspect before handing out the garlands. Alabama Shakes aren't shit but they aren't the shit either and no one involved in that discussion AFAIK said that any one on this forum would be a shithead for liking them.
keith a
9565 posts

Apr 20, 2012, 17:32
Who have I called a shithead, Ian?

I have no strong feeling either way about Alabama Shakes. They were just the most recent example of a band getting slagged off here that I could think of.
keith a
9565 posts

Edited Apr 20, 2012, 18:18
Apr 20, 2012, 17:39
Moon Cat wrote:

You don't read it so you don't get it and that's not my (or anyone elses) problem Keith but yours. Sorry, but you clearly have a definite musical prejudice, not a simply a diversion of taste, that you occasionally like to inflict upon others that don't subcribe to your view. Not liking something is one thing. Having a definite problem when others do is another. Replace keywords in these various debates over the years with say "Wire" or "Magazine" and see how long it takes for that knee to twitch.

Your reply misses the point cos you chose not to read the post. If you wish to be routinely bullish about telling people why they shouldn't like something then expect responses. Personal taste doesn't come into it.

The Alabama Shakes point is blisteringly irrelevant to this issue as it stands.

But no hard feelin's guv. Just stop picking on us.

You need to stop being so defensive here. I'm a Morrissey fan and people have said far worse things about him than I said about Kiss here, which - as I've already said - I thought was being conducted in a decent spirit. Bit of discussion here, bit of a laugh there.

And the Alabama Shakes point is not irrelevant at all.

No-one's picking on you. No hard feelings at all, even if you seem to want to make this personal rather than about Kiss. Writing 'no hard feelings' sat the end of your post doesn't make your post any less 'bullish' than any of mine.
Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 18 9 10 11 12 13 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index