Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Apr 18, 2012, 17:11
Re: Which Kiss albums?
Apr 18, 2012, 17:09
paradox wrote:
.....And neither cover contains the correct guitarist.....80)

It should look like this......

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/-r-UtIffUnw/0.jpg

Heh! True. Ace may have played bits on it but after his disinterest (and wrapping his car round a tree.) I think it was Vinnie Vincent and Steve Ferris plus long-time Kiss associate Bob Kulick, played on it.
radagast
radagast
264 posts

Apr 18, 2012, 17:10
Think you got me wrong there. Just wanted to point out what kind of chakra Kiss music is working on. Must be somewhere in the lower regins of the human spine. as a more or less average human being I do possess this as well and so - to a certain extent - also like primitive, dumb, mindless rock'n'roll. Only I do mostly prefer it from artists that have not written arsehole on their brows in black and white. Oh, that's facepaint? sorry...
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Apr 18, 2012, 17:21
You don't like 'em fine. Kind of mean-spirited to have a pop at those that do, particularly in the context of a thread where someone is simply asking fans for some advice.

If this was a thread called "I think KISS are the best thing ever. Argue with me", yeah, feel free, fill your boots, wade in, if that's how you roll.

To me, your response was basically the equivalent of being a bloke standing in pub, overhearing two people talking about something they happen to like and that you happen to NOT like and thus insisting on diving in to tell them how shit the thing they like is and how stupid they are for liking it.
Uneccesary, unwarranted and fairly unpleasant.

(Why is it that chakra-obsessed hippies, supposedly avatars of tolerance and understanding, are often the most bleh-bleh-bleh don't like that, that's shit, people are stupid types? What happened to peace and love, man?)

Peas and loafs.
machineryelf
3681 posts

Apr 18, 2012, 17:26
Squid Tempest wrote:
machineryelf wrote:
I'd tend to agree with the you've got all you need viewpoint but at a push I'd say Alive II ,Love Gun or the first S/t unless Double Platinum is also on offer

someone will mention Music From The Elder, ignore them it really is SHITE of the highest order

if you want some dumb 70s rock n roll on the cheap I'd recommend something other than KISS who whilst writing some canny tunes also had a lot of filler

edit useful suggestions

James Gang Live or Miami
Gues Who Live at the Paramount
Foghat Live
Bachman Turner Overdrive Not Fragile/4 Wheel Drive
Allman bros Live at the Fillmore
Mountain Live
early Ted Nugent
I see all the Grand Funk cds have been remastered too

Hah! Some tempting suggestions there actually. I did get a Grand Funk album a while back (the live one?) and wasn't that impressed.

Edit: actually, I've already got the Elder. Didn't mention it because I almost don't count it as a Kiss album!

I thought Grand Funk would have been right up your street the 3 main live releases are all worth a listen IMHO [unless you have that horrible 80s thing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Funk_Lives],horses for courses it appear.
What do you think of The Elder, on release I loathed it because it was such an obviously crass and money related thing to do and at the time I wasn't overly keen on the The Wall either, but when Seb revealed his idea for a film I thought I'd better give it another listen and it was worse second time around,it is IMHO terrible at just about any angle you wish to approach it from
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Apr 18, 2012, 17:29
machineryelf wrote:
but when Seb revealed his idea for a film I thought I'd better give it another listen and it was worse second time around,it is IMHO terrible at just about any angle you wish to approach it from

LOL! Not a fan!
machineryelf
3681 posts

Apr 18, 2012, 17:34
Moon Cat wrote:
machineryelf wrote:
but when Seb revealed his idea for a film I thought I'd better give it another listen and it was worse second time around,it is IMHO terrible at just about any angle you wish to approach it from

LOL! Not a fan!

correct, looking forward to the film because it contains 'NO MUSIC FROM THE RECORD' that should be its tagline
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Apr 18, 2012, 18:12
Moon Cat wrote:
paradox wrote:
.....And neither cover contains the correct guitarist.....80)

It should look like this......

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/-r-UtIffUnw/0.jpg

Heh! True. Ace may have played bits on it but after his disinterest (and wrapping his car round a tree.) I think it was Vinnie Vincent and Steve Ferris plus long-time Kiss associate Bob Kulick, played on it.

this came up recently on another forum, interesting list:

Bruce Foster: Piano on Nothin' to Lose (from Kiss)
Dick Wagner: Guitar on Beth, Flaming Youth and Sweet Pain (from Destroyer)
Bob Kulick: Guitar on All American Man, Rockin' in the USA, and Larger than Life (from Alive II)
Anton Figg: Drums on every song on Dynasty except Dirty Livin', and on all of Unmasked.
Tom Harper: Bass on Shandi (from Unmasked)
Holly Knight: Keyboards on Shandi (Unmasked)
Vini Poncia: Keyboards on various songs from Dynasty and Unmasked

Aside from those examples, members of Kiss play everything on their original albums.

Moving forward past Unmasked, there are TONS of examples of ghost musicians on Kiss records.

Alan Schwartzberg played drums on a couple of tracks on The Elder. Bob Ezrin played bass on one song.

All four new songs on Killers featured Bob Kulick on guitar.

On Creatures Of The Night, lead guitar is handled by various people who were not Ace Frehley, who'd already (unofficially) quit the band at the time they recorded the album. Vinnie Vincent, Robben Ford and Steve Ferris all play lead on it. Jimmy Haslip played bass on a couple of songs, as did Eric Carr. Adam Mitchell also played some additional rhythm guitar.

On Lick It Up, the lead guitar on the opening track "Exciter" is Rick Derringer.

On Animalize, Mark St. John is credited as lead guitarist, but Bruce Kulick actually played lead on two songs. Jean Beauvoir played bass on several tracks. Alan Schwartzberg allegedly played some drum overdubs.

On Asylum, Jean Beauvoir again plays bass on one track, and again there were supposedly drum overdubs by Alan Schwartzberg.

On Hot In The Shade, many tracks were built from existing demos. Kevin Valentine played drums on a handful of songs. Tommy Thayer played on a couple of songs. Keyboards were played by Phil Ashley, though I don't recall if he was credited on the album -- he may have been.

On Revenge, Kevin Valentine played drums on "Take It Off". Dick Wagner played a solo on "Every Time I Look At You".

Psycho Circus is mostly recorded by ghost musicians. "Into The Void" is the only song which features the original lineup depicted on the album art. Kevin Valentine played drums on everything else. Most of the guitar solos are Tommy Thayer (pretending to be Ace) and Paul Stanley. Bruce Kulick played some guitar and bass on the album. Bob Ezrin played some electric piano on "I Finally Found My Way".
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Apr 18, 2012, 18:48
I really am as braindead as Radagast implied - I forgot to stop at the shop on me way home. Drat.
paradox
paradox
1576 posts

Apr 18, 2012, 18:53
Haha!

Made me chuckle has that.

Obviously, Destroyer and Alive! have already turned your brain to mush.

You may as well just snap up the entire KISS catalogue.
keith a
9570 posts

Apr 18, 2012, 19:45
Think of it as nature's way of telling you to save your pennies.
Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index