Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Edited Apr 18, 2012, 15:55
Re: Which Kiss albums?
Apr 18, 2012, 15:54
IanB wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
Creatures of The Night or Hotter Than Hell?

Looks like Rock n Roll Over gets the most votes overall.

If you have Alive then Creatures is the one for me. Hotter than Hell has some genuine highlights but it is not my favourite Kiss record production wise (muddy bottom. no oomph) and you've got the best songs already. Creatures acknowledges a new decade without being slavishly 80s. If you like a bit of Iron Maiden and pre Sammy H Van Halen then you should be up for this one. Hotter Than Hell has more of an Ezrin/Alice sound to it.

Hmm. I like Ezrin/Alice more than Maiden/Van Halen...
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Apr 18, 2012, 16:08
Squid Tempest wrote:
IanB wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:

If you have Alive then Creatures is the one for me. Hotter than Hell has some genuine highlights but it is not my favourite Kiss record production wise (muddy bottom. no oomph) and you've got the best songs already. Creatures acknowledges a new decade without being slavishly 80s. If you like a bit of Iron Maiden and pre Sammy H Van Halen then you should be up for this one. Hotter Than Hell has more of an Ezrin/Alice sound to it.

Hmm. I like Ezrin/Alice more than Maiden/Van Halen...

Play the samples in iTunes and see what you think. Give or take some chugging guitars the difference is all in the production.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Apr 18, 2012, 16:11
Thanks Ian. Think I'll just chance my arm on my way home - can't listen to stuff while at work.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Apr 18, 2012, 16:31
Perhaps*, but that's the thing. These things don't operate on one level do they?

Like, some of the stuff I listen to makes Motorhead sound like Air Supply, but it doesn't diminish the power of Lemmy and the boys when I'm in the mood for some greasy, heavy rock n roll.

Same as, when I'm in the mood for downtuned, heavy occulty riffing, then Sabbath are called to duty. When I want hooky, catchy, possibly quite silly. rock n roll cheap thrills, KISS answer the call. (Not personally I'm afraid. Reckon it'd make a right mess in me pod).

Early KISS, to me, has all the stompalong, stupid joy of Slade (who were a big influence on KISS, rare for a US band then). It's not deep or clever but it makes me grin. I'm sure there must be pop things that deliver the same shallow, but delightful pleasures for you?

*Creatures of The Night is PROPER heavy though!
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Apr 18, 2012, 16:33
Creatures of the Night is increasingly sounding like one for me!
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Apr 18, 2012, 16:49
Apr 18, 2012, 16:44
Squid Tempest wrote:

Squid Tempest wrote:

"Rock n Roll Over" also boasts that rarests of all things - a good Peter Criss song (though I admit my virtual cig lighter always comes out when I hear 'Beth')! "Baby Driver" is pretty much a one-chord thrash-chug with Peter Criss doing his best Rod Steward with 1000 volts up his jacksie and also going a bit mad at the end.

For full impact of the album - especially the first 'side' play it really loud and prepare to dance foolishly in front of your family. (I suspect they might be used to that).

As it happens, both "RnRover" and "Creatures" were reactions by the band to the previous albums both produced by Bob Ezrin. "Rock n Roll Over" was a back to basics heavy rock n roll album after the lush production afforded "Destroyer" with it's choirs and orchestras and so on. "Creatures" was something of the same following the (sublime) madness of "The Elder" (and it's commercial failure) in going back to a basics, but this time with a very, then contemporary, metal edge.

"Rock n Roll Over" is a great 70's KISS album, if that's what you're after, and "Creatures" is a fab, last (at the time) hurrah to the Make-Up era.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Apr 18, 2012, 16:54
Apr 18, 2012, 16:52
Squid Tempest wrote:

If you can, get this cover

http://www.amiright.com/album-covers/images/album-Kiss-Creatures-of-the-Night.jpg

which rules, and not this one..

http://www.mclub.com.ua/images/alb/cover69_170.jpg

which doesn't!
paradox
paradox
1576 posts

Apr 18, 2012, 17:01
.....And neither cover contains the correct guitarist.....80)

It should look like this......

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/-r-UtIffUnw/0.jpg
Tangerine Pete
Tangerine Pete
487 posts

Apr 18, 2012, 17:04
Squid Tempest wrote:
I noticed earlier that HMV are doing 2 Kiss CDs for £10 on all the remastered CDs. I've already got Alive! and Destroyer - which ones next?

there's a bit of contention surrounding "You Wanted the Best, You Got the Best", which is a live comp of tracks from Alive and Alive II with 4 very good unreleased tracks...worth it for the unreleased tracks, wot are very good indeed. Or you can get it used for about 1 shilling 8 and nine-pence...they're cheap and plentiful out there... also includes a 17 minute reunion interview for those keen on listening to people talking.

one of my friends and I saw Kiss live in LA in 2009 and we both instantly flashed back to being laid back 13-year-old stoners. You've got to respect a band that goes to that much trouble to put on a fiery, pyrotechnic spectacle, after all.
keith a
9570 posts

Apr 18, 2012, 17:06
Moon Cat wrote:

I'm sure there must be pop things that deliver the same shallow, but delightful pleasures for you?

Come on, Moonie, you've 'known' me long enough to know there will be millions!

I might go on about the odd post-punk band and some of the more serious stuff, but I've never been one to conceal my love of cheap pop thrills. I was listening to Captain Hollywood's More & More yesterday! *

I guess if you don't a ; ) after everything people can think you're being more serious than you are.

*OK. That was maybe one admission too far!
Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index