Which Kiss albums?

Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Re: Which Kiss albums?
Apr 18, 2012, 14:06
Andy Kershaw: "Now they've dropped the Mahone, hopefully they'll start painting their faces and breathing fire"

I know it puts me in a minroity here, but that's my favourite thing ever about Kiss. (Followed by Scooby Doo and the Melvins eps)
keith a
9570 posts

Apr 18, 2012, 14:20
Depends if you're going to listen to them or burn them. If it's the latter get the lot...
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Apr 18, 2012, 14:26
Didn't you copy "Sonic Boom" (Which is brill) off me at you pod?

"Rock n Roll Over" is one of their best for sheer dumb rock thrills. My first of their albums (aged 12) so it has a special place in my heart.
"Love Gun" follows a similar path but the songs aren't quite as cool.

The aforementioned "Double Platinum" is a great comp of the 70's stuff and probably the best comp out there.

"Ceatures of The Night" is a really good heavy album from the early 80's with drum sound that'll cause the walls to crack. Great sleeve too (if you get the original artwork)

An album that divides the fans featuring as it does KISS's late 70's dalliances with disco is "Dynasty". Me, I think it's a pop metal masterpiece meself and a lot of fun and "I was Made For Lovin' You" is a disco-metal classic.

Of the Make-upless years, I'd say "Lick it Up" and "Revenge" are probably the best, though "Animalize" does feature "Heaven's on Fire" which is genius in it's foot-stomping ridiculousness.

Oh and the Elder is, of course, the greatest thing that's ever happened anywhere.

Have fun
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Apr 18, 2012, 14:29
keith a wrote:
Depends if you're going to listen to them or burn them. If it's the latter get the lot...

Keith " I don't like rock. I don't want anyone else to like it either. Post Punk is best. Yah boo sucks etc etc"

8^P
paradox
paradox
1576 posts

Apr 18, 2012, 14:31
Hotter Than Hell is a must have Squid.

Yeah, the production is a bit on the sludgey side but It's a cracking album.

Worth it for Ace's finest KISS moment alone, "Strangeways"

As already mentioned, Alive II is worth a punt, as is Dressed To Kill, Rock N' Roll Over, Dynasty and Unmasked although only go for the latter two if you don't mind a poppier production.
The songs are really strong though.

I'm sure Moonie will give you a monumental guide too.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Apr 18, 2012, 14:31
Moon Cat wrote:
Didn't you copy "Sonic Boom" (Which is brill) off me at you pod?

"Rock n Roll Over" is one of their best for sheer dumb rock thrills. My first of their albums (aged 12) so it has a special place in my heart.
"Love Gun" follows a similar path but the songs aren't quite as cool.

The aforementioned "Double Platinum" is a great comp of the 70's stuff and probably the best comp out there.

"Ceatures of The Night" is a really good heavy album from the early 80's with drum sound that'll cause the walls to crack. Great sleeve too (if you get the original artwork)

An album that divides the fans featuring as it does KISS's late 70's dalliances with disco is "Dynasty". Me, I think it's a pop metal masterpiece meself and a lot of fun and "I was Made For Lovin' You" is a disco-metal classic.

Of the Make-upless years, I'd say "Lick it Up" and "Revenge" are probably the best, though "Animalize" does feature "Heaven's on Fire" which is genius in it's foot-stomping ridiculousness.

Oh and the Elder is, of course, the greatest thing that's ever happened anywhere.

Have fun

At last, a proper answer! Thanks Moon Cat.

What about Hotter Than Hell? Dressed To Kill?
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Apr 18, 2012, 14:34
paradox wrote:
Hotter Than Hell is a must have Squid.

Yeah, the production is a bit on the sludgey side but It's a cracking album.

Worth it for Ace's finest KISS moment alone, "Strangeways"

As already mentioned, Alive II is worth a punt, as is Dressed To Kill, Rock N' Roll Over, Dynasty and Unmasked although only go for the latter two if you don't mind a poppier production.
The songs are really strong though.

I'm sure Moonie will give you a monumental guide too.

Thanks! Looks like I'll be getting Hotter Than Hell and Rock n Roll Over for my £10 then. Sound reasonable?
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Apr 18, 2012, 14:35
Squid Tempest wrote:
Which 3 early albums?

Kiss, Hotter Than Hell, Dressed To Kill, Destroyer (which you already have) are all good, maybe the first one less so. Both Alive albums are great.

As for Grand Funk, I picked up the Live Album, and wasn't blown away, then I bought the "Red Album" (S/T) and really understood how much it influenced Brain Donor.
paradox
paradox
1576 posts

Apr 18, 2012, 14:37
Yep, top dollar mate.

Hotter Than Hell is my personal favourite.

Goin' Blind, Got To Choose, Parasite, the title track AND Strangeways.

You can't go wrong.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Apr 18, 2012, 14:41
Thanks!
Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index