Copedium: info?

201 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
copius-freakus2
221 posts

Edited Mar 21, 2012, 00:05
Re: Copedium: info? & price!
Mar 20, 2012, 23:51
I can see why people in general feel £200 pounds is expensive for this limited edition, and to a certain extent I agree with them. However as someone who buys, sells and collects signed modern first edition books in their spare time I am not surprised that Faber have decided to produce a high quality Limited version of Copendium and charge £200 pounds for it.

Faber for several years now, have produced high quality, high priced, limited editions of many of their lead titles. Take for example Jarvis Cocker Mother Brother Lover At £100 & The recent Seamus Poetry collection and £250.00. Both selling out very quickly at publication, with prices rapidly increasing on the collectors market. Faber are not the only ones Another example would be the Harvill Secker 2011 Hand made signed limited edition of 110 copies of Haruki Muurakami's 1Q84 novel. The price you may ask £750! Not only was this sold out well before publication, their was a large reserve list as well. The price now £2000+

Yes most are over priced, costing a fraction of the retail to produce, with large profits going to the publishers, and not the authors!, However As long as the collectors are willing to pay then the publishers are going to cash in and continue to produce these limited edition versions.

With regards the Cope book,I have decided to purchase a copy, for my own collection not to sell on. I would rather not have to fork out £200 for it, but I know being very limited it is likely to sell out very quickly, with prices rapidly rising on the collectors marked, if the recent trend for other limited editions is anything to go by. I would rather pay the £200 now, when it is just about affordable, then in several months time have regrets wishing I had purchased a copy having seen them being sold for several hundred pounds on the net! at an unafordable price. I still have regrets with regards Krautrock Sampler, seeing first ed copies pilled up in my local Virgin store, not bothering, only to see copies now going for silly money over the net, at a price I can't justify spending.

Having said all of this none of us have yet to see a copy, so we as yet don't know how good the book is going to be. However if Julian has put as much effort into this as his other recent books then I'm sure it will be a great read, a very well received best seller, which will only add to the collectors interst in these limited editions.

My advice if you have the money and you are still deciding. Buy it. It is not a purchase you ae ever likely to loose money on. If you decide after the event its not for you then, you can allways sell it on.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index