270 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
stray
stray
2057 posts

Re: Psychedelic Revolution
Feb 19, 2012, 06:48
PMM wrote:

So to me, JC has been fighting the fight, by every means he can think of for over 20 years now. The music is just one means of many, but everything is directed to the same end.

What end ? I've never picked up anything more consistent from JC other than highlighting whats fucked up, which is fine, but its not an end is it. I've never detected anything approaching an ideology, an alternative or a strategy to adopt. A Wake up call then ? Seriously ? Thats not required either, if you look around the world there is an upsurge of activity against the current systems so no wake up is required. I'm not saying that JC needs to state an ideology, nor does he need to get involved in anything approaching an ideological debate, just lets not pretend that he has an 'end' in mind. You could say his end is just to spark debate, fine, but if he doesn't have an argument himself then he's just a troll right ? Thats okay too, and maybe all a musician like himself can hope to do/be. Maybe he sees that arguing his own politic properly would be counter-productive, alienating, but that attitude would be one of just self preservation right ? As in he'd alienate himself from his audience.

Riverman says its made him think about possible situations where he would take up a gun. Thats interesting I suppose, but I don't think that is the purpose of those images on the album. To me its all just part of the pose. Personally, I've always accepted that during any kind of revolutionary struggle that time would more than likely come, although as I've argued earlier in this thread that maybe there are other approaches that wouldn't lead to that (but its highly unlikely). Also, as marxist and other earlier anarchist methods have never actually delivered, that maybe its probably a good idea to try and think about completely different approaches and ideologies. Thing is though, and this is key, why the fuck is he constantly using the Anarchist Communist flag ? Is that what he is now ? If it isn't then put the flag down. I would be highly impressed if he said 'yep, I am an anarchist Communist'. It would reveal a hitherto unseen and unheard level of political commitment and thought from him.

Also as Ian B says these images merely appear to be glorifying the gun.. Well, they're not really, they're actually glorifying himself with the gun if you consider the context. Troublesome, confusing, and not sharp enough to be interpreted as a dadaist or situationist statement. To me its all just music and image, posturing, entertaining, definitely not thought provoking imo. Also, well, quite offensive and not in a good way, just more in a sad credibility underlining way.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index