Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Feb 18, 2012, 20:18
Re: Psychedelic Revolution
Feb 18, 2012, 17:26
riverman wrote:
It's probably my innate pessimism but I do worry about where we are headed - I think as I said to you in the pub over Xmas it's a bit worrying when the government can force massive change in the higher education system (that nobody has voted for if you read the Tory manifesto) and get away with it - surely in universities there must be enough intellect to see that these changes are undemocratic, but we've failed to stop the them.

Absolutely. I am not unworried. It has been the intelligent condition of any one paying attention since the hunter gatherers stopped hunter gathering and social stratification (and with it slavery) came into play. But we're like the tramps in Godot

Estragon "I can't go on like this"
Vladimir "That's what you think".

As for the album in question it just seemed to me at first sight like a regressive and wholly macho trip to be rolling out the hardware for a photo op. The imagery makes me think not of idealised leftist heroism, making the ultimate sacrifice in the face of injustice and tyranny, but of the Angels at Altamont and the naive idiocy of the Stones.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index