Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Feb 18, 2012, 08:47
Re: Psychedelic Revolution
Feb 18, 2012, 08:37
PMM wrote:
No it isn't. I don't think the production values or the song writing is up to the same standard. I think Peggy Suicide is a stone cold classic album, and nothing I've heard on Psychedelic Revolution hits the heights of say, SafeSurfer.

Mind you, what would be the point of doing another Peggy Suicide? It's been 22 years since that album was released. Inevitably, Cope has moved on. This is more rustic. It feels like quite a natural progression from Black Sheep, particularly the first disk. It does retain the same political stance you'd find in songs from Peggy Suicide like Soldier Blue.

Does it though? I think this record positions itself a significant distance away from Solder Blue or even All The Blowing-Themselves-Up Motherfuckers for that matter. I really wanted to like this but can't take the gun play (as for me it just speaks to another form of totalitarianism) and I can't for the life of me see where the uncritical referencing of Baader Meinhof and Leila Khaled fits in with being a militant peacenik (his words) or what either has to do with the injustices experienced in Britain in the here and now. The real war of progress is the fundamental antitheist battle of ideas with religious infantilism. It's the first domino. All else follows from there otherwise any improvements as a result of tinkering with the political economy are going to get swept aside by the tide of the establishment rushing back the other way. Just see how much more PR driven outrage has been directed at secularism the last few weeks compared with that directed at Occupy. That's the establishment's core fear of people getting off their kness. That's truly shaking the foundations and it doesn't have to be conducted at gun point.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index