Topic View: Flat | Threaded
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Feb 15, 2012, 19:25
Re: Psychedelic Revolution
Feb 15, 2012, 18:48
necropolist wrote:
ne thing that occured to me re Vive La Suicide....

I'm slightly surprised there is no evidence of Cope having read Black Panther Huey P Newtons great autobiography, Revolutionary Suicide. It actually really fits with the theme of the album, and makes plan what I think Cope ius trying to express. For Newton, suicide is usually a 'reactionary suicide' - black men (in particular) killing themselves out of despair. What the world needs, says Newton, is revolutionary suicide - you put yourself on the line, knowing that eventually you will be killed, but that in doing so you are challenging that world and making it better.

It also fits in that Newton explicitly quotes Che Guevara in it, as an inspiration. Being a revolutionary mans loving all of humanity, whilst having to give up on the love of specific individuals. You must learn to conquer fear of death to live a life without fear, one where you can genuinely choose how to live.

"Think about what you would die for, and work your way back from there, and then you'll know what you should do with your life."

Huey Newton. Lovely guy. Misogynist who murdered a prostitute and was 'proud' of his cop killing, justified by circumstances or not. He was an arsehole.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index