270 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Re: Psychedelic Revolution
Feb 10, 2012, 13:21
Kosmischeboy wrote:
Well i've given it a good listening to this morning and i think it's his strongest collection of melody driven stuff in a long time. Disc one is more black sheep acoustic style stuff and has elements of Skellington in there as well. It's also far more bluntly political lyric wise. But has some gems, Cromwell in Ireland and As The Beer Flows Over Me being my faves. The final track Hooded And Benign has one of the most beautiful electric guitar motifs on the intro too. Assuming it's Copey playing but not sure. Disc two is far more laid back and mellotron filled, the title track Psychedelic Revolution really stands out and is the most overtly political song on Disc two, the rest of the disc flows really well and again is full of melody and songs. A more melancholic listening experience overall, but i think it will stand the test of time more than disc one. So musically great all round but lyrically blunt at times is my overall opinion.

The one thing i'm not overly comfortable with is the gun on the cover and the advocation of violent revolution that seem to underpin everything at the moment. I find that hard to stomach.

"When it gets down to having to use violence, then you are playing the systems game. The establishment will irritate you: Pull your beard, flick your face to make you fight. Because once they've got you violent, then they know how to handle you. The only thing they don't know how to handle is non violence and humour." - John Lennon.

Good quote.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index