Psychedelic Revolution

270 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1705 posts

Re: Psychedelic Revolution
Feb 10, 2012, 12:52
I've given it a first listen and really enjoyed it. I have to admit I haven't listened closely to the lyrics yet, but it did seem that only a small portion of it is actually heavily political. Otherwise we've got woden, lunar mysticism, alien autopsies... I am uncomfortable with the militaristic sleeve imagery, but the songs themselves were strong.

It's basically Black Sheep (the band) doing melodic old-style Julian Cope songs, in much the same way as Citizen Cain'd / Dark Orgasm were Brain Donor doing melodic old-style Julian Cope songs... it's folky, quite sparse, droning, but always tuneful, and with singing, not shouting or ranting.

It occurs to me that Cope's early albums were all about doubt, and his later albums are all about certainty. Which is a lot harder to like and empathise with, especially if you don't agree with him. However, he's found a viewpoint and he's going with it, and he's engaging with current outside realities... if he'd stayed with the solipsistic introspection of 'Fried' etc he'd have ended up a Morrissey-like self-parody. Again, that kind of narcissistic, drug-damaged navel-gazing is more attractive from someone in their early twenties than a family main in his fifties. Which isn't to say that revolutionary posturing is any more dignified, but at least he's got fire in his belly.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index