34 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2608 posts

Edited Nov 09, 2011, 18:36
Re: "How To Buy A Record Review"
Nov 09, 2011, 18:34
The 'Fanfare' situation is appalling, but hardly unique. As that hardly unbiased scribe alludes, 'Gramophone' has been at it for decades, and still is: how many times have you read about the okay, but vastly overrated (and good looking) Pavel Haas Quartet in its pages in recent years?

Personally, I'm glad to see the back of James Inverne. Under his editorship the magazine has been dumbed-down to comical levels: it's short, meaningless reviews with "helpful" headers drive me nuts and put it on the same level as 'Classic FM' magazine. Time was when I could learn something by reading 'Gramophone' . Now I spend the half hour it takes me to get through its pages by seething at the factual errors and hype in its expensive pages. Thank heaven for 'International Record Review' for restoring the balance and some genuine critical sense.

Incidentally, I have been reliably informed by an industry insider that the hifi press is similarly prone to shameless praise and promotion of the manufacturers and dealers keenest to offer the choicest freebies or place the most expensive ads in their pages. A quick look at most of the principal hifi mags confirms this: where there's a regular ad, there's almost always a rave review for the same product close by. I choose to trust my ears - and my own judgement - instead.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index