22 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Re: CD format to be abandoned by major labels by the end of 2012
Nov 02, 2011, 19:03
Kid Calamity wrote:
It'll mean musicians and bands will probably have to create their own little record distribution set up to sell physical product. And, as I've been banging on about before, rely more on selling directly at gigs, if they're not getting any radio play. Who is this gonna affect most? Bands, labels or online stores? The trusted and fondly cherished old record shop has already been doomed to extinction, I'm afraid.

Some record shops are valiantly surviving though, like the one in Godalming, which is, dare I say it, thriving. Or it appears to be. If the network of indie shops is canny (and I reckon the surviving ones must be, almost by definition) they might even be able to profit from the situation by cutting the big money-guzzling record companies out of the equation.

I don't want to sound too positive here. I think it is damned disgraceful the record companies are going to make their fortune (if this is all indeed true) from bits and bytes rather than a physical product. All they'll be doing is providing financial backing for advertising and stuff, not making any kind of real contribution to the artists. No change there then I suppose.

As for selling at gigs, my set-up isn't really geared to gigs, so it isn't a goer for everyone.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index