Albums Of The Year 2011 CE

122 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2600 posts

Re: Albums Of The Year 2011 CE
Dec 24, 2011, 19:58
And my definitive choice is a late runner: Kate Bush's career-high '50 Words For Snow'. Sorry Gruff and Peter, but you'll just have to accept joint second place apiece.

Here's my Top Ten for 2011, for what it's worth, in no particular order aside from the first three:

Kate Bush '50 Words For Snow'
Van der Graaf Generator 'A Grounding In Numbers'
Gruff Rhys 'Hotel Shampoo'
Clive Gregson 'Bittersweet'
Nick Lowe 'The Old Magic'
Radiohead 'The King Of Limbs'
Trembling Bells 'The Constant Pageant'
Kaiser Chiefs 'The Future Is Medieval'
Buffalo Tom 'Skins'
Magazine 'No Thyself' (good concert too - shame about Howard's sudden lapse of poetic taste and subtlety...)

Reissues: Gainsbourg's expanded 'Histoire de Melody Nelson' and the first two discs of the Jim Capaldi box set. Oh, and John Lees' 'A Major Fancy'. And the three Isotope albums, which are now really growing on me after a shaky start.

Classically, I've enjoyed Joseph Moog's excellent Liszt recital disc and Bĕlohlávek's stimulating new Martinů symphony cycle with the BBC SO. Havergal Brian's 'Gothic' symphony at the Proms was another highlight, as was the Belcea's ongoing Beethoven Quartet series at the Sage.

Shit year life and career wise, alas, but a good year for music. That's what keeps me going...along with Draught Bass and Marston's Pedigree.

Yo fucking ho. Have a great holiday, all - and I mean that.

Dave
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index