122 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1700 posts

Re: Albums Of The Year 2011 CE
Dec 24, 2011, 18:13
Popel Vooje wrote:

But ... if I had to choose an overall favourite, I think the one that would just see off the competition would be "I a Moon" by North Sea Radio Orchestra. Not sure what musical category it fits into (which is always a good thing, IMO) - whether it's neo-chamber music or English folk that's been augmented with orchestral arrangments - although I can hear faint echoes of the early, pre-electronic High Llamas, Frank Zappa's "Lumpy Gravy", Vashti Bunyan, Nick Drake's "Five Leaves Left" and William D. Drake's various projects outside of the Cardiacs (which isn't so surprising as he frequently moonlights with them on keyboards). Nonetheless, despite its intricacies it's certainly not prog rock, as it has no rock elements whatsoever.

Yeah, it's a fine album and their best so far, I think; less twee than previous outings. Have you heard William D Drake's own album of this year, The Rising of the Lights? Flawed, but has some absolutely sublime moments.

Still working on putting my own list in some kind of order; there's been a lot to digest in 2011.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index