Dec 24, 2011, 21:23
!:-)!!!
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Dec 25, 2011, 18:39
Re: Albums Of The Year 2011 CE
Dec 25, 2011, 18:39
Another late entry...

The Devil's Blood - The Thousandfold Epicentre. Occult melodi-rock at it's best, and the super sexy special edition (an XMass present) is a thing of infernal beauty.
theglueman
theglueman
38 posts

Dec 25, 2011, 20:52
Mark Fry and the A. Lords, I lived in Trees
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Dec 26, 2011, 03:04
Moon Cat wrote:
The Devil's Blood - The Thousandfold Epicentre. Occult melodi-rock at it's best

Really liked what I've just heard of The Time Of No Time Evermore, so just used a crimbo voucher to order The Thousandfold Epicentre. Thanks for the tip Moonie, much obliged (again).
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Dec 27, 2011, 15:32
Hunter T Wolfe wrote:
Popel Vooje wrote:

But ... if I had to choose an overall favourite, I think the one that would just see off the competition would be "I a Moon" by North Sea Radio Orchestra. Not sure what musical category it fits into (which is always a good thing, IMO) - whether it's neo-chamber music or English folk that's been augmented with orchestral arrangments - although I can hear faint echoes of the early, pre-electronic High Llamas, Frank Zappa's "Lumpy Gravy", Vashti Bunyan, Nick Drake's "Five Leaves Left" and William D. Drake's various projects outside of the Cardiacs (which isn't so surprising as he frequently moonlights with them on keyboards). Nonetheless, despite its intricacies it's certainly not prog rock, as it has no rock elements whatsoever.

Yeah, it's a fine album and their best so far, I think; less twee than previous outings. Have you heard William D Drake's own album of this year, The Rising of the Lights? Flawed, but has some absolutely sublime moments.

Yes, I have - and it's rather lovely, IMO, except for the odd occasion where his obvious classical training overrides accessibility. I'm not surprised that his music has taken a turn towards the pastoral - even as early as the mid-80s he released a cassette with Tim and Sarah Smith of the Cardiacs (under the name "Mr. and Mrs. Smith and Mr. Drake") which was evidently his handiwork for the most part, and sounds like a primitive dry run for both his solo albums and the NSRA (he ws already adsapting poems like Andrew Marvell's "The Garden" to music back then).

And yes, you're right - "I a Moon" is their best album. I think the fact that many of the lyrics are about Tim Smith's tragic illness renders the songs too emotinally raw to be twee.
andreas
369 posts

Dec 27, 2011, 19:34
Kate Bush - 50 Words of Snow
Alice Coltrane - Journey In Satchidanda
Eric Dolphy - Out To Lunch
Arvo Pärt - Miserere
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Dec 28, 2011, 14:21
mingtp wrote:
Moon Cat wrote:
The Devil's Blood - The Thousandfold Epicentre. Occult melodi-rock at it's best

Really liked what I've just heard of The Time Of No Time Evermore, so just used a crimbo voucher to order The Thousandfold Epicentre. Thanks for the tip Moonie, much obliged (again).

I'm sure you'll enjoy it. It's got all the elements of the first album but with a slightly more expansive and ambitious feel to it.
Kid Calamity
9043 posts

Dec 28, 2011, 14:36
I've not bought/obtained many actual 2011 releases, I'm afraid.

However, I do continue to explore the labyrinth of musical forms and artists that slipped beneath my radar in earlier years. A lot of muzo chums and Headers from here very kindly share or steer me towards some absolute gems - and I gratefully thank each and every one of you. I've also done a fair bit of reappraising of stuff I already own, too.

Kudos then to Solus3 for giving me a darn good reason to buck this trend, once again. Your 'Corner Of The World' album is a fine piece of work.
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Dec 28, 2011, 16:29
2011 Cd's that i have bought (not many but all gooduns):

Sarah Beth Tucek - Get Well soon
SBTRKT - s/t
Peaking Lights - 936
Kate Bush - 50 words for snow

Cd's picked up from various sources (like people burning them for me or bootlegs*)

Wire - Red Barked Tree
The Horrors - Skying

@Miss Peapods:
Arboretum
Hiss Golden Messenger
Eternal Tapestry
Date Palms
Six Organs of Admittance

@Exeter Phoenix
Jeffrey Lewis & Pete Stampfel
The Smoke Fairies

@St Austell Brewery
Sarah Gillespie quartet with Gilad Atzmon
Charlotte Glasson Quintet

2011 stuff on Spotify (heavily influenced by HH tips)

Master Musicians of Bukkake - Totem 3
Loka - Passing Place
Red Snapper - Key
Anthony Joseph & the Spasm Band - Rubber Orchestras
Oneida - Absolute 2
Peggy Sue - Acrobats
Nordic Giants - A Tree as old as me
Camille - Ilo Veyou
North Sea Radio Orchestra - I a moon
Radiohead - The King of Limbs
Ty Segall - Ty Rex

*Now i realize that the bootlegs aren't albums as such but i view them as live albums and i certainly listen to them quite a bit
aether
149 posts

Edited Dec 30, 2011, 19:30
Dec 28, 2011, 17:03
Water Wrackets by Bitchin Bajas

Totem 3 by Master Musicians of Bukkake

and reissue of the year:

Rob Thomsett's Yaraandoo - The Legend of the Southern Cross (1975) by Roundtable
(just reviewed by me over in Reviews section)
Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index