Albums Of The Year 2011 CE

Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Re: Albums Of The Year 2011 CE
Oct 29, 2011, 00:54
Bubs I'd forgotten until you posted your list how similar our tastes are. Downing those links right now for when the Freakier Zone finishes and gonna bliss out while playing some online poker, nice one mate thank you.
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Oct 29, 2011, 01:10
Cheers for name-dropping that Pye Girls Are Go comp as well in the same post. All these fun trashy girl group comps are taking up an alarming amount of my playing time lately. Must look a bit odd to anyone popping round seeing all these CDs with nymphettes in go-go get-ups lying around my desk.
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Oct 29, 2011, 01:20
Pye Girls Are Go is a stone cold classic of the genre. I've only recently taken it out of my DJ box after numerous years and only because it's too valuable to risk losing.

If you like this stuff, I strongly recommend this too (if you haven't got it already): Destroy That Boy! More Girls With Guitars.
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Oct 29, 2011, 01:34
Haha, got it already! Bought it with a bunch of volumes of the Girls in the Garage series.
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Oct 29, 2011, 01:38
By the way, I've been blasting this awesome Meek-produced track by The Sharades over and over recently: Dumb Head. Almost sounds like some weird form of Girl Group Dub to me.
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Oct 29, 2011, 03:12
Sin Agog wrote:
By the way, I've been blasting this awesome Meek-produced track by The Sharades over and over recently: Dumb Head. Almost sounds like some weird form of Girl Group Dub to me.

Wow, that's chuffin' great. Don't s'pose you know if it made it onto a comp?
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Oct 29, 2011, 10:12
Yep, you can find it on Let's Go! Joe Meek's Girls which is pretty great in itself.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Oct 29, 2011, 11:31
Oct 29, 2011, 11:31
Sin Agog wrote:
Yep, you can find it on Let's Go! Joe Meek's Girls which is pretty great in itself.

Th great Joe Meek! Nice one. I'll have to check this album out. I have the wonderful Vampires, Cowboys, Spacemen and Spooks collection, a pretty good comp (a few duffers on it as always, but who cares as he was so manically prolific) and the wonderful I Hear A New World, cosmic head ambience 15 years before eno/krautrock, and Telstar was and is a true psychedelic classic! The father of Interstellar Overdrive and all Space Rock in a pop song. Far out!
His own stereo version is a belter.

(Thanks go to Tone for setting me on the Meek trail).
Monganaut
Monganaut
2365 posts

Oct 29, 2011, 12:30
There could still be some goodies to come. Thought on the whole it was a great year for the kinda stuff I like, but meantime, in terms of what got played the most, it goes a little something like tjhis...

TV Ghost - Mass Dream
Tarwater - Inside The Ships
Lumarians - Transmillinia
Eno - Drums Between The Bells
Religious Knives - Smokescreen
Nightbeats - Nightbeat
Fujiya & Miyagi - Ventroloquizzing
Datashock - Pyramiden van Giessen
Jonas Reinhardt - Music From The Tactile Dome
Julian Cope The Jehovahcoat Demos
Suuns - Zeroes QC & Zeros EP
Thurston Moore - Demolished Thoughts
Follakzoid - IV,III II I EP
Peking Lights - 936
The Advisory Circle - As The Crow Flies
Ghostpoe - Peanut Butter Blues And Melancholy Jam

Compilations

Those Shocking, Shaking Days: Indonesian Hard, Psychedelic, Progressive Rock and Funk 1970-1978

Four Tet - Fabric Live 59

Rough Trade Shops Psych Folk 10
(yeah I know it was from last year, but I only got it a while ago...great selection of tunes, with only two that I skip...introduced me to loads of cool new stuff too)

Near misses...

Grails - Deep Politics
Hasn't got under my skin as much as previous Grails releases, but to be fair, I haven't played it a whole lot so far.

Oneida - Absolute II
For Oneida, This Sucks! disappointment of the year if I'm honest.

Horrors - Skying
As my daughter said, "why are they still called the Horrors", there's no gnarly garage here. Still liked there brand of shoegazery well enough, but still just lacked a little 'something' for me.

Circle - Infectio
They've been off the boil for a few years now, but each album has it's moments, and for me on this one it's the 15 minute 'Salvos'. The album has a more Amon Duul 'caveman jam' feel on the opener, with avante jazz freakouts, and drawn out piano tinkering's on the other two, S'OK!
bubblehead2
bubblehead2
2167 posts

Oct 29, 2011, 12:49
Very similar tastes indeed so always read your lists with interest, as i do with a few people on this site !

The weekly TSOOL thread has certainly turned me onto some great sounds over the years that otherwise i'd have probably missed out on. Gotta say more great music crosses my radar nowadays than has ever done in the past. In fact, at times it's almost impossible to keep up with all the fabulous mind-bending stuff that seems to be forever dropping through the letterbox*.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the Pewt'r Sessions ( wah-guitar heaven for me ! )

* Psychic Ills was todays arrival, and a very cool start to the day it made too.

Keep them tips coming !!!
Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index