Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Re: Albums Of The Year 2011 CE
Jan 06, 2012, 16:18
machineryelf wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
I've just got Kate's 50 Words, and I have to say it hasn't grabbed me yet. What is that track with The Elt all about? He sounds too much like his characature on the Impression Show for comfort - "Text me when the baby gets to Universiteeee!"...

I love that Elton song, best thing he's done in years,I've also never seen the Impressions show maybe I should youtube it.
Only thing I could pick fault with is Stephen Fry, because you can't get away from him at the moment, should have got Attila Csihar to do it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHXUGfR96gk
50 word for DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

ps best bits about 50WFS, the bit where sings about 'melting in her hands'

a delicate little piano riff just after she sings about 'leaves in the mouth' absolutely entrancing, I'm thinking of chopping that bit out and looping it continously until I'm rendered into cosmic dust by the approaching endtimes

Hahaha! Splendid!
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Jan 06, 2012, 16:31
Jan 06, 2012, 16:31
One thing that's striking about these lists is what a disparate lot they are. There are a few discs that crop up several times (Wooden Shjips, Psychic Ills, Black Tempest and Solus 3 being the main ones), but otherwise ... you'd have to be a retired millionaire in order to amass the time and money necessary to listen to all of them. And this board is but an insignificant dot on the wider lsnadscape of middle Englan's loistenoing habits.

Makes a change from ye olden dayes when the Festive 50 plus NME and Melody Maker's lists would probably feature most of your favourite records of the year if you had even vaguely leftfield tastes. The sheer volume of music being produced nowadays seems to have lead to a far more diverse and interesting musical landscape, but also a greater degree of fragmentation and a loss of unity that makes the plethora of new releases more confusing to negotiate and digest than ever before. Discuss, if you wish...
keith a
9570 posts

Jan 06, 2012, 17:48
1. C’mon – Low
Following the experimental and slightly disappointing Drums & Guns and the ensuing four year break, Low return to doing what they do best. It obviously helps that C’mon features material that ranks amongst their best.

2. Red Barked Tree – Wire
Apart from the odd raucous moment like Two Minutes (a cross between Parklife and Spacemen 3’s Revolution!) this is more textured and melodic than Wire have been since they got back together some years ago. There are even some gentler moments that sound unusually pre-punk for Wire.

3. Apocalypse – Bill Callahan
Another Bill Callahan album. Another great collection of songs. All sung in that deep Leonard Cohen-like voice.

4. Coldest Winter In A Hundred Years – The Wild Swans
There was a danger that this was going to be something of anti-climax. It’s been a long wait after all! But fear not - Paul Simpson is on great form here with melodies to die for. And his reference points – be it geographical or musical – are ones that chime well with me. The young Wild Swans keyboard player Richard Turvey has done an excellent job production-wise, too.

5. Dead Legs & Alibi’s – Dark Captain
The band formerly known as Dark Captain Light Captain may have lost half of their name, but musically this is more of the same - quality songs, hushed vocals and gorgeous harmonies.

6. Rome – Danger Mouse & Daniel Lippi
American producer and Italian composer collaborate on album inspired by spaghetti western soundtracks, using some of the original musicians to breathtaking effect. There’s something almost regal about what’s on offer here.

7. Galaxsea – Lunar Dunes
Lunar Dunes return with expanded line-up and an album that is full of tasty basslines, great beats and, well, lots and lots of atmosphere!

8. Ventroloquizzing – Fujiya & Miyagi
Lovely throbbing electronic pop with glam beats. Kinda like Black Cherry-era Goldfrapp but without the kitsch sex appeal.

9. Hotel Shampoo – Gruff Rhys
Solo set from the Super Furry Animal mainman that oozes quality pop.

10. No Thyself – Magazine
Howard Devoto’s post-punk legends finally follow up those live dates a couple of years ago with new material. And it’s not bad! I’ll probably never rate this as highly as their first three classic albums, but it’s definitely better than their admittedly disappointing fourth! It’s great to hear Howie’s voice again, and Noko has done a great job stepping in on guitar.

11. Inside The Ships – Tarwater
12. Corner Of The World – Solus 3
13. Sniper – Marc Hurtado & Alan Vega
14. Ersatz GB – The Fall
15. Night Gallery – Eternal Tapestry & Sun Araw
16. The Stone Turntable - Transglobal Underground
17. Blood Pressures – The Kills
18. Lucid Thoughts – Deep Magic
19. Exitudes – Saso
20. Blueprints – Celluloid
21. Raptureland – Alphabet Saints
22. Secret Astronomies – Black Tempest
23. The Crooked Debut Of... - Michele Bombatomica
24. Mazes – Moon Duo
25. Staring At The Sea – Blow Monkeys
26. In Nightfall – Seabuckthorn
27. Party’s Over – King Post Kitsch
28. Incantations V – WIKAN
29. Destroyed – Moby
30. Ancient Romans – Sun Araw

BUBBLING UNDER...
Hookworms – Hookworms
Veronica Falls – Veronica Falls
Hearts – I Break Horses
Trans-love Energies – Death In Vegas
Let England Shake – PJ Harvey
Saturday Aquatic Pixie Acid – Pets With Pets
Bring The Exhibits... - Dressed In Wires

(I've only heard a couple of these bubblers once or twice at the moment or they might have ended up higher!)
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Edited Jan 06, 2012, 19:32
My Official Top 20 List!
Jan 06, 2012, 19:27
http://www.kosmikradiation.com/2011top20new.htm

#1 Peaking Lights "936" (Not Not Fun)

#2 Master Musicians Of Bukkake "Totem Three" (Important)

#3 Lunar Dunes "Galaxsea" (4Zero)

#4 Mike Watt "hyphenated-man" (Clenched Wrench)

#5 Daughters Of The Sun "Ghost With Chains" (Not Not Fun)

#6 Lumerians "Transmalinnia" (Knitting Factory)

#7 Earthling Society "Stations Of The Ghost" (4Zero)

#8 The Black Lips "Arabia Mountain" (Vice)

#9 (tie) Sun Araw "Ancient Romans" (Drag City)
and Eternal Tapestry & Sun Araw "Night Gallery" (Thrill Jockey)

#10 Eleanor Friedberger "Last Summer" (Merge)

#11 (tie) Thee Oh Sees "Castlemania" (In The Red)
and "Carrion Crawler - The Dream" (In The Red)

#12 White Fence "Is Growing Faith" (Woodsist)

#13 Van der Graaf Generator "A Grounding In Numbers" (Esoteric)

#14 MV & EE "Country Stash" (Three Lobed)

#15 Sonic Youth "Simon Werner a Disparu" (SYR)

#16 Moon Duo "Mazes" (Sacred Bones)

#17 Solus 3 "Corner Of The World" (Solus 3 Recordings)

#18 Zun Zun Egui "Katang" (Yep Rock)

#19 Wooden Shjips "West" (Thrill Jockey)

#20 (tie) Black Tempest "Secret Astronomies" (Tempest Towers)
and "Supernormal Recordings" (Tempest Towers)

Congrats & thanks to EarthlingFred, Squid Tempest & IanB (twice!)

PS - as an interesting aside, this year's best of list seems to feature more colorful album covers than past years (perhaps related to the return of vinyl and more space for artwork?)

Still working on the podcast, you can listen later today:
http://www.kosmikradiation.com/2012.01.06.htm
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Edited Jan 06, 2012, 19:39
Jan 06, 2012, 19:37
We seem to be in the minority who prefer the Dunes album to Solus? I feel like both sophomore efforts were a step forward from the debuts (and the personnel seems to be overlapping more than ever) -- but somehow while the expanded pallet makes Dunes sound even better, I prefered the more "focused & sparse" sound of the first Solus album (expanding the pallet in this case diffuses what made the original so unique.) IMHO of course (hi Ian!)
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jan 06, 2012, 21:02
Re: My Official Top 20 List!
Jan 06, 2012, 21:02
Dog 3000 wrote:

#3 Lunar Dunes "Galaxsea" (4Zero)

#17 Solus 3 "Corner Of The World" (Solus 3 Recordings)

F*ck me. That's a wonderful thing. Mooncat told me today that "Deaf" Barton had Galaxsea in his 2011 top ten too. So double chuffed.

Cheers matey!
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jan 06, 2012, 21:05
Jan 06, 2012, 21:04
Dog 3000 wrote:
We seem to be in the minority who prefer the Dunes album to Solus? I feel like both sophomore efforts were a step forward from the debuts (and the personnel seems to be overlapping more than ever) -- but somehow while the expanded pallet makes Dunes sound even better, I prefered the more "focused & sparse" sound of the first Solus album (expanding the pallet in this case diffuses what made the original so unique.) IMHO of course (hi Ian!)

Hello! I am glad you liked both. I have to admit that I like COTW much more than Galaxsea which I thought should have been half as long and would have been twice the listening experience but that's just me.

Anayway thank you both for even taking time to think about such things. It is enormously appreciated by all of us (there are a few excited e mails flying around this evening for sure).
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Jan 06, 2012, 21:08
Chuffed to make it in amongst such illustrious company! It's this sort of thing which makes it all worthwhile, and why I keep on keeping on. Thanks man, without people like you the musical world would be a dull and uninspiring place.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Jan 06, 2012, 22:24
Is there a show featuring this list Dave?
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Jan 07, 2012, 00:29
Yes, just got it up:

http://www.kosmikradiation.com/archive.htm

I'll probably have more to say later . . . !
Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 18 9 10 11 12 13 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index