Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jun 16, 2011, 17:51
Re: Desert Island Discs?
Jun 15, 2011, 20:58
How could I have forgotten No Quarter AND Heaven & Hell? I am in danger of being a metal apostate. Must try and rock harder!

That particular arrangement of NQ with the long keyboard solo is a classic. There is a moment that JPJ employs most nights where he shifts gears like he is riding an old Triumph. The one in the MSG set where the between song chat suggests that the city is snowed in is particularly good. Must dig all that out tomorrow. Thanks for the reminder. Don't know the Seattle one. What's your bootleg called? Is it a soudnboard or audience job?
FifePsy
FifePsy
540 posts

Re: Radigue
Jun 15, 2011, 21:06
IanB wrote:
FifePsy wrote:
Trilogie de la Mort - Eliane Radigue

Nice. I went to the Spitalfileds concert last night. The three laptops piece was amazing, the harp piece getting its premier was amazing for the first half of its length but it gnawed for the last 15 minutes to be honest. The bar was calling to me.

The bass guitar and laptop thing was not my cuppa. I sat there thinking that I would rather be watching Seb and his Crater ensemble. He seemed to have a lot kit and was hamming it up with the old flamboyant guitar-mage gestures without there being much of an end result. Might just be of course.

This is the same chap doing the same piece somewhere else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WojvQM2W5kY

Thanks Ian. I would like to have seen some of the Radigue events happening in London but not sure how it would translate into live performance. For me her music is real late night, deep listening in the dark stuff. I also have a strong preference for her ARP 2500 works and have not been grabbed by any of the commissioned pieces post 2000. I have the disc of Elemental II (bass guitar piece) and it never had the effect on me that her own electronic pieces have. Also doesn't have the purity of sound. Similarly, the Charles Curtis cello piece doesn't really work that well for me either. However, if i could only take one piece to the island it would be a toss up between the Trilogie and the Feldman SQII. Either would keep me going for a very long time!
machineryelf
3679 posts

Jun 15, 2011, 21:41
IanB wrote:
How could I have forgotten No Quarter AND Heaven & Hell? I am in danger of being a metal apostate. Must try and rock harder!

That particular arrangement of NQ with the long keyboard solo is a classic. There is a moment that JPJ employs most nights where he shifts gears like he is riding an old Triumph. The one in the MSG set where the between song chat suggests that the city is snowed is particularly good. Must dig all that out tomorrow. Thanks for the reminder. Don't know the Seattle one. What's your bootleg called? Is it a soudnboard or audience job?

What the Thunder Said, it's a matrix, quality is A1, and I'd rate this as fine as the best LA shows, this set has the second longest NQ ever according to the pointless LZ facts database, and a 40+min Dazed & Confused

info here
http://www.pf-db.com/index.php?concert_id=2823&bootleg_id=11693

certainly one of my favourite Zep recordings, just been checking the Zep boot pile and the MSG75 show NQ I have is a beaut, Seattle 73 is another IIRC
Robot Emperor
Robot Emperor
762 posts

Jun 15, 2011, 21:56
Cornelius Cardew - Paragraph 7
Steeleye Span - My Johnny Was A Shoemaker
Terry Callier - Dancing Girl
Van Der Graaf Generator - Still Life
Black Sabbath - Symptom of the Universe
Can - Future Days
Shuggie Otis - Ice Cold Daydream
Hawklords - Psi Power

Luxury item would be a telescope.

Book would be The Manuscript Found In Saragossa by Jan Potocki.

Would change all the above except the book.
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2550 posts

Edited Jun 15, 2011, 22:17
Jun 15, 2011, 22:10
Stay Visible - Simple Minds

No Mean City - Nazareth

Dream, Dreaming - Glasvegas

Violin Concerto - Alban Berg

Chelsea Bridge - Billy Strayhorn

She's Leaving Home - The Beatles

Symphonic Metamorphoses - Paul Hindemith

Trumpet Concerto - Edward Gregson

Luxury - Piano

Book - A score for the Violin Concerto.

(pity it wasn't albums tho!)
FifePsy
FifePsy
540 posts

Jun 15, 2011, 22:20
IanB wrote:
Debaser wrote:
Did you listen to the programme? I caught about the last 15 mins - Nimrod got me a bit misty-eyed but the story about a listner who put something called 'Judith's Song' in her list, was then interviewed to explain this mystery song...well I was in bloody bits, blubbing as I was driving.

As for my list, never in a million years - I'm a rubbish chooser-er and an even worse 'sticking to my original choices'-er

But I do know that Alice Cooper's - Elected, would be there. I'm sticking to that

...I think

I had the podcast on this am. Really enjoyed the discussion though expected not to given the people invovled. That was what made me thnk of the topic. There were some great bits in there for sure. There was a passing comment about it all being very English. An English bias? On Radio 4? Who'd have thought it possible!

I've just been listening to the pod as well - pretty good. Of all the lists, thought the female artist track list was most interesting. Joni Mitchell, Kate Bush, Aretha Franklin, Nina Simone,etc

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/features/desert-island-discs/about/your-desert-island-discs
landells
landells
680 posts

Jun 15, 2011, 22:27
Jeez! 8!! But...

Slim Cessna's Auto Club - Hold My Head

Julian Cope - Soul Desert

Ian McNabb - Fire Inside My Soul

Acid Mothers Temple - La Novia

Neil Young - I've Loved Her So Long

New Model Army - One Bullet

Talking Heads - Cool Water

The Wedding Present - Take Me!

The Autobiography of Special Agent Dale Cooper

A typewriter (and paper)

When do we leave?
Debaser
Debaser
241 posts

Jun 15, 2011, 23:57
It's taken me this long to think of my luxury item...can I take a never ending supply of Coca Cola?
redfish365
redfish365
710 posts

Jun 16, 2011, 00:13
Debaser wrote:
It's taken me this long to think of my luxury item...can I take a never ending supply of Coca Cola?

I like it!
I've been a dyed in the wool Coke drinker since the 70s and still can't well deal with Pepsi or RC or any knockoffs. I drink 4-6 Cokes a day, every day. No diet shit either but the real McCoy only. My dentist pays off his Ferrari thru me.
Back in the 80s when they pulled that "new Coke" bullshit on us I was ready to lead a revolt. If they hadn't come out with Coke Classic I was ready to lay down my life in protest!
unleasHell
112 posts

Edited Jun 16, 2011, 03:18
Re: Desert Island Discs? Hope there's electricity...
Jun 16, 2011, 03:14
Joy Division: Unknown Pleasure
Chameleons: Script of the Bridge
Hendrix: Electric Ladyland
Can: Future Days
Eloy: Floating
Madness: First
Bob Marley: Legend
Doors: First
Echo & Bunnymen: Crystal Days
Mythos: First
Bowie: Ziggy Stardust...