Favourite Record Sleeve?

118 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: Favourite Record Sleeve?
May 23, 2011, 18:00
I like Mati Klarwein's work a lot -- Miles Davis "Live Evil" is probably my favorite.

Hipgnosis has a classic style -- they seem like the first crew to feature "arty covers" instead of simple "pictures of the artist." Always thought it was supercool that the members of Zep and Floyd don't appear on most of their album covers (I was actually disappointed that DSOTM came with a poster of the group -- somehow Floyd works best without any faces attached!)

Roger Dean is often imitated and kinda cheesy. Giger didn't do nearly as many covers, but I think his are much more interesting (Brain Salad Surgery.)

Also dig the psychedelic "Frisco Poster" style of Griffin and Mouse and those guys (Aoxomoxoa, etc.) R. Crumb's few forays into album covering are classic too.

Neil Young has a knack for wonderfully weird covers too -- "On the Beach" looks as desolate and surreal as it sounds. "Time Fades Away" looks like it is going to be a chaotic but heartfelt mess (and it is.) "Tonight's The Night" looks creepy, dark and mysterious. "American Stars & Bars" is boozy yet cosmic, etc.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index