Unsung Forum »
Favourite Record Sleeve?

Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
spacecat
57 posts

Re: Favourite Record Sleeve?
May 23, 2011, 17:12
Crocs probably not epic but certainly atmospheric....agree about Evergreen - along with WYGDWYL, Flowers, Siberia, The Fountain they just didn't capture that magic again (I'm still talking about the album covers).
ToneStone
ToneStone
1768 posts

May 23, 2011, 17:29
Hahahahaha such big talk from such a little man
ToneStone
ToneStone
1768 posts

May 23, 2011, 17:39
I dug out those Warlocks Lps the other day and they are still sounding pretty tasty
Monganaut
Monganaut
2370 posts

May 23, 2011, 17:49
Yeah, I've a big soft spot for those first 3 albums. Phoenix is an unsung classic in my opinion, esp the British version which has a slighlty amended tracklist, which I think flows better than the U.S. version.
Saw them at Academy two in Birmingham back in 2003/4? Anyhow, as usual, there was a pissy little crowd (20 or so), mostly for the support act, but still they played their little hearts out, was great. Saw them again in the Little Civic in Wolverhampton the next time they were over. Again a smallish crowd, but at least they made some noise. Not the most consistent of lineup's either, but always worth a watch/listen.
Monganaut
Monganaut
2370 posts

May 23, 2011, 17:51
My brother was well pissed when I cut out the bits from the insert from his 'original' Sgt. Peppers. He only caught me cos I was wearing the 'tash. Though I'm sure he'd of worked it out before long. In my defence, I was only 5 at the time, honest!
ToneStone
ToneStone
1768 posts

May 23, 2011, 17:52
Seems they are constantly splitting up or putting it on the back burner these days. Too much time spent with Anton ;)

Yeah Phoenix is the best of the lot but do have a soft spot for Rise and Fall as its a bit more phasey and out there.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

May 23, 2011, 18:00
I like Mati Klarwein's work a lot -- Miles Davis "Live Evil" is probably my favorite.

Hipgnosis has a classic style -- they seem like the first crew to feature "arty covers" instead of simple "pictures of the artist." Always thought it was supercool that the members of Zep and Floyd don't appear on most of their album covers (I was actually disappointed that DSOTM came with a poster of the group -- somehow Floyd works best without any faces attached!)

Roger Dean is often imitated and kinda cheesy. Giger didn't do nearly as many covers, but I think his are much more interesting (Brain Salad Surgery.)

Also dig the psychedelic "Frisco Poster" style of Griffin and Mouse and those guys (Aoxomoxoa, etc.) R. Crumb's few forays into album covering are classic too.

Neil Young has a knack for wonderfully weird covers too -- "On the Beach" looks as desolate and surreal as it sounds. "Time Fades Away" looks like it is going to be a chaotic but heartfelt mess (and it is.) "Tonight's The Night" looks creepy, dark and mysterious. "American Stars & Bars" is boozy yet cosmic, etc.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Edited May 23, 2011, 18:16
May 23, 2011, 18:15
IIRC Ambrosia's first album (c. 1973?) also folds out into a pyramid.

I think "Yessongs" is the most-foldiest album cover I own (like a triple gatefold and a colour booklet too.)

"Chicago IV: Live at Carnegie Hall" is a tremendously classy package (comes in a box with many foldouts & posters) -- too bad the album is so shitty ("greatest hits played slower with too much echo.")
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2607 posts

May 23, 2011, 18:27
Rolling Stones 'Between The Buttons'
Caravan 'In The Land Of Grey & Pink'
'Hatfield and the North'
Roxy Music 'For Your Pleasure'
Kevin Ayers 'Joy Of A Toy'
Yes 'Yessongs'
Jethro Tull 'Stand Up'
Pink Floyd 'Ummagumma'
Elton John 'Captain Fantastic'
Echo and the Bunnymen 'Heaven Up Here'

Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

May 23, 2011, 19:10
Interesting.

I've got a K-Tel album with this same cover photo (different songs, different company, same concept):

http://www.freewebs.com/toppopper/ukv25.htm
Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index