Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited May 13, 2011, 18:06
Re: The Wall: kack.
May 13, 2011, 15:53
Fitter Stoke wrote:
I agree, Ian. Bought it 32 years ago and never managed to get into it yet.

But we must be wrong, yeah?

Not wrong just outnumbered by the sales statistics!

My theory is that was the album when all the "straights" who didn't know what to make of long haired music and completely ignored punk got into Floyd for the first time. The big, hard to avoid, singalong hit single taking the band into the world of day time radio, Drive-Time and TOTP for the first time since Emily.

The most adventurous record in these folks' collections up to that point would be Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds, Even In The Quietest Moments, News of the World, Captain Fantastic and maybe Bat Out Of Hell. That sounds incredibly snobbish but I knew and worked with tons of people like that in the late 70s and early 80s who were adults but total late comers to rock music. Nought wrong with that and someone had to buy all those Dire Straits and Tina Turner records ...

I am not talking about people who were too young to have been cogniscent of album Rock pre Punk, more the people who were there at the time but basically ignored it in favour of the Top 40 scene until they got the bug big style through The Wall.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index