Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Edited May 12, 2011, 20:19
Re: Get hairy at Pompeii
May 12, 2011, 20:13
Dog 3000 wrote:
As zphage also said, Floyd did get "hairy" jams going in their pre-concept album days (at least through Meddle/Live at Pompeii.)

The "midtempo/rhythmically intert" thing is a bit unfair -- I think one of their greatest strengths was RESTRAINT. I used to think Mason was a crap drummer -- surely no Bonham or Moon (and don't call me SHirley!) -- but now dig that he is really more of a krautrocker than a "british classic rock" drummer. Immaculate tasteful timekeeping.

When Floyd does "rock out" it's all the more dramatic for the epic build that precedes it.

ANIMALS maaaan . . . . and check out the Pompeii movie if you've never seen it! It's no masterpiece, but the best sequences are as iconic and amazing as any "rock film" I've ever seen.

My favorite bit starts 6:25 into this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=646KtkEcPm8

Do you rekon the music at 6:25 is an edit? It is funny that at that moment those panned WEM cabs with Pink Floyd London stencilled at back was being talked about in Stonehouse Glos where one of them lives. PF chucked them out in the mid 70's. I recall OGWT in about '83 where for some reason P.Gambacinni was being asked about rock films and this one made him sleepy.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index