IanB
6761 posts

Re: Pink Floyd Reissues 2011
May 11, 2011, 09:07
The Sea Cat wrote:
IanB wrote:
The Sea Cat wrote:
IanB wrote:
[quote="Dog 3000"][quote="IanB"] Though I am sure there are (a lot of) people out there who love Tomorrow and Syn beyond reason and wouldn't go near Yessongs!

Ha Ha! I was playing all three, with a dash of Andwella's Dream and Gentle Giant, only yesterday. So maybe I'm an exception there. I love my trad psych and anyone who disses Yes, well, that's fighting talk! ;

When ever I play Syn or Tomorrow I just want to listen to the early Yes records. It's like going back and watching footage of a great player in their youth team days - it's all there but not fully formed.

If you include Kingdom Come, early Man, Atomic Rooster etc in your definition then I guess I would revise my sweeping bias against English Psych but I think of them more as early Prog. When I think of Psych I think of a more touristy Carnaby Street / Kings Road thing. There were a ton of bands who wore the clothes for a year in the "Listen To What The Flower People Say" / "Cups n Cakes" style. I know I am in a minority but Donovan and early TRex make my toes curl. Love The Zombies though and talking of The Syn, The Who's Psych period too. I love it when Psych is more in the Power Pop area.

You know Ian, apart from the tracks Astral Traveller and Time And A Word, I've always avoided early Yes, as the little rest of it that I did hear I wasn't very impressed with. Maybe I should give them another go from a different perspective. With Yes there is a general consensus that it all really started with The Yes Album, there last chance re. their contract etc.

Well yes there is truth in that. Time & A Word is not very good though it tries hard. It's a decent stab at symphonic prog but with real orchestra rather than mellotron, Hammond and moog. The first album is a bit of a corker on the quiet. An odd mesh of Beach Boys and The Nice with jazz drumming. "Surivial" is one of Squire's best bass lines.

You might be better off just getting Yesterdays (especially if you don't already have their 10 minute version of "America" on something else) though it doesn't have their versions of "Every Little Thing" or "No Opportunity Necessary,No Experience Need" which are worth hearing and I would class as Yes essentials with "Survival" and "Sweet Dreams". I imagine it is all there on Spotify if you want to give them a test drive!
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index