Unsung Forum »
SLAB! Peel Session

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
machineryelf
3681 posts

SLAB! Peel Session
Apr 24, 2011, 08:36
Someone from these parts [think it was Monganaut] sent me a SLAB! link a while back,damn good it was too, so this is a return favour, came across this on another site

Now, here's a wee gem i had been looking through my boxes of tapes forever & i finally came across it the other week...SLAB from the UK, with their 2nd John Peel session from April 1988. Think early Godflesh,Flipper & early Swans,but with the occasional strangely out-of-place funk bassplaying..makes it even more unnerving. This is a VERY rare recording that no one seems to have (left),not even the members of Slab. So here it is ,in all it's full gringing glory (Including comments from Mister Peel himself):

http://www.mediafire.com/?kw4r8pks3wtg5bj (4 tracks, all titled, 45mb)

also

Here's a rare rip (straight of the radion in FM, including John Peels commentary) of No Means No first John Peels session from the 25th of May 1988. Great quality & an incredible tight performence by the band:

http://www.mediafire.com/?isbrx51p2y1xnk5 (4 tracks, all titled, 48mb)

& a Voivod 87 soundboard, dunno if anyone else likes Voivod but I do

Voivod (Can). live @ Zaal "De Kriekelaar", Schaarbeek,Brussels.Belgium. 28th of November 1987 (During European tour with Kreator)

http://www.mediafire.com/?agzmi4na3ifsag9

all from here

http://www.foreverdoomed.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=22403

the uploads section is spot on but you have to enlist in the Corps of Doom or whatever to view it
elegant chaos
elegant chaos
2390 posts

Re: SLAB! Peel Session
Apr 24, 2011, 09:26
Saw SLAB! at the Goldsmiths College in Deptford in 1987 as part of an all-dayer headlined by The Weding Present.

This was just after they released their mini_LP (effectively a compilation of their first two 12" plus an instrumental) "Music For The Iron Lung"

The full 10-piece line up was onstage - I still say it was one of the best sets I've ever seen

Tried to get a fanzine interview with them afterwards - my calls were fobbed off

I later met Paul Jarvis who told me that the reason they couldn't do interviews at the time was that the band was going through a crisis that eventually reduced the band from a ten-piece to a trio!
ToneStone
ToneStone
1768 posts

Apr 24, 2011, 11:00
ta !!

I love Voivod and i guess 87 was their Dimension Hatross tour. Only saw them once in the Uk in Leeds at a Christmas on Earth festival.
machineryelf
3681 posts

Apr 24, 2011, 12:42
ToneStone wrote:
ta !!

I love Voivod and i guess 87 was their Dimension Hatross tour. Only saw them once in the Uk in Leeds at a Christmas on Earth festival.

I think it's the end of the Killing Technology tour, not had a chance to listen properly yet, but it has made me want to dig out the early albums
Monganaut
Monganaut
2373 posts

Apr 25, 2011, 13:34
Arrghhhh, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!! I've been after the Slab! Peel session for years. Think it was recorded between 'Descention' and the sligtly funkier 'Sanity Allergy'.
Also saw them in live 87' at the Barrel Organ in Birmingham. They were pretty darn good as i recall, supported ,I think, by local fav's at the time 'Cable Regime'. The lead singer and myself were dressed exactly alike, which called for an awkward moment at the bar and much ribbing from my mates.

Sometimes the Peel session versions were superior to the actual final records. One instance I can think of is Nick Cave' first session for Peely, with stuff off 'From Her To Eternity'. He did an awesome version of 'Avalanche' that I've never managed to track down. Sadly, my old tape copy got worn out way before the advent of digital copying.
Will find it one day, well I live in hope.
keith a
9572 posts

Apr 25, 2011, 13:41
Thanks - will have a listen later. I was always partial to a bit of Slab!
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Apr 25, 2011, 13:59
I found "Nick Cave and the Boys next door, peel session, pleasure avalanche" Is that what you are looking for?
Monganaut
Monganaut
2373 posts

Apr 25, 2011, 14:08
Thanks, but not that song. It's the Leonard Cohen cover he did of Avalanche from his first solo album, the Peel session was just the best, also 'St Huck' version is different to final recording, and is a killer too.
Always holding out that he'd release a 'radio sessions' album, but so far, ho hum.

Here's one for Keith A
Wire II Peel Session from 88'

http://ilovetotaldestruction.blogspot.com/2011/04/wire-john-peel-session-4-1988.html
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Apr 25, 2011, 14:17
you have mail :)
keith a
9572 posts

Apr 25, 2011, 15:57
Cheers - I love that session. I remember taping it and playing it loads!

I've actually got it on Coatings now but thanks for thinking about me.

Have you got the session they did circa 2002-03? It was the 1st they'd done for Peel since this 1988 one. I've got it somewhere if you haven't.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index