106 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2600 posts

Re: Soundtracks To Our Lives Weekending 19/03/11
Mar 20, 2011, 11:42
This week's plays:

Nick Lowe 'Labour Of Lust' - second solo album of sublime pop, newly available again on Proper Records. This made the dreary drive from Leeds to Sunderland very bearable indeed;

Dave Brubeck Quartet 'At Carnegie Hall' and 'In Europe' - two marvelous live recordings played in tribute to the great Joe Morello - what a drummer, and what a combo he drove;

Pat Metheny '80/81' - where Metheny proved his true jazz chops with the likes of Charlie Haden and Dewey Redman. This has dated far less than the guitar-synth stuff that characterized his own band's material from the same period;

Belle & Sebastian 'Write About Love' - the usual blend of faultless craftmanship, catchy licks, unusual arrangements and ascerbic lyrical content, with that curious lack of real feeling that I've always sensed from B&S's records to date;

The Unthanks 'Last' - overtly morose new album from the hot folk act of the moment. To be listened to a couple of songs at a time. Definitely not summer listening;

Traffic 'John Barleycorn Must Die' - the previous, less expanded CD edition with those two great unreleased Winwood songs that Universal inexplicably left off the latest release. Incredible to think that Stevie was still only 22 years old when he made this, with three Spencer Davis Group LPs, three Traffic LPs and one Blind Faith LP already to his name. Respect;

Queen Elizabeth 'Queen Elizabeth' - quite my favourite of the Drude's long instrumental excursions. More Thighpaulsandra collaborations soon please, Mr Cope;

XTC 'Drums & Wires' and 'Black Sea' - recently discovered by my eleven year old daughter, who immediately noted the lineage to Franz Ferdinand and the Kaiser Chiefs. I'm happy to note that XTC have replaced those bands in her affections. Now for the Teardrop Explodes...;

plus these classical discs for those who care about such things:

Steven Osbourne & Paul Lewis: Schubert Piano Duets;
John Ireland plays John Ireland;
Brahms 2 (Columbia SO/Bruno Walter);
Beethoven 'Rasumovsky' String Quartets, Op.59 (Italian String Quartet).

And that's it. Have a great week, all.

Dave
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index