Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Mar 20, 2011, 10:41
Re: Soundtracks To Our Lives Weekending 19/03/11
Mar 20, 2011, 09:05
John Barleycorn Must Die 2011 2 cd version
Just about worth it for the live tracks alone (the more bootlegs you have from that era the less relevatory it probably is) and the scrubbed up original album just pulses with energy and youthful arrogance - Traffic at the very top of their game.

John Martyn Live at Leeds 2 cd version.
Really disappointing fucking around with one of the greatest records ever made. Live or otherwise. This was my fourth purchase of this record since it came out. The original sequence is rejigged, the insultingly crap tracks with Koss from the Voiceprint version are maintained, the audio on the out takes is often shocking, the mastering is not what it was on the original vinyl and of the new tracks only "May You Never" and "Spencer The Rover" are worth the bother. Steal those two and buy "Barleycorn" instead even if that too is short of definitive . Universal, hang your heads!

Ring Cycle highlights - HvK and BPO

Streetcore - Strummer
Far and away his best record since "The Clash"

Noise Candy (discs 1 and 2) - Bill Nelson (utterly bonkers 6 x cd collection of out takes. I can only manage two at a time but the "Console" disc is a must own for Nelson obsessives)

Rainbow 73 / Too Late To Stop Now - Van Morrison

King Tubby Meets Rockers Uptown & East of the River Nile - Augustus Pablo

My Manic & I ep - Laura Marling

Imaginary Psychology - Matt Baldwin
Glad I started that thread, MB channels his inner "Outside In".

"Playing It Cool" Dubs - Keith Hudson

Collage for a Day, Barbican Hall 19 11 2009 - Frissell / Gibbs

Jehovahcoat Demos
Great sounds, slender material in parts - not as interesting as Black Tempest or Spaceship but better than anything carrying the Black Sheep livery. Well worth owning. One man's cast-aways etc ...

The Touchstone - Azimuth
Norma Winstone in tip-top wordless improv form. The euro-jazz flipside to Rotary Connection.

Come Taste The Band Remix and Remaster
Wonderful revisioning of the best album that habitually clogged the racks of Record and tape Exchange in the mid 70s. Could still have done with some more guitar in places. Has been my most played Purple album for about 20 years now, just as "Heaven and Hell" is far and away my most played Sabs album. Ditto "Seconds Out". Sometimes those apparently cataclysmic line up changes work out just fine. Trevor Rabin excepted.

and in the same vein ...

Miami - James Gang
Made in Europe - Purple
Malice In Wonderland - Paice Ashton & Lord
Whitesnake - Coverdale
Snakebite - Whitesnake
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index