Unsung Forum »
"Paracletus" (2011) - Deathspell Omega

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Maldoror
Maldoror
720 posts

"Paracletus" (2011) - Deathspell Omega
Feb 23, 2011, 21:53
Another brilliant effort by those french masters of avant metal, rounding with a bang a trilogy about the theological and existential implications of the eternal conflict between HEAVEN and HELL (Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice - 2004 / "Fas-Ite, Maledicti, in Ignem Aeternum" - 2007).

From the blurred aural fury penned by groups like Darkthrone and Mayhem, Deathspell Omega created an increasingly complex and evil sonic web of blastbeats, chamber rock, hellisch guitars and eerie electronic atmospheres.

What do you think about the band?
mr sulcus
mr sulcus
399 posts

Re:
Feb 23, 2011, 23:23
I've heard their name come up a few times recently, so have been added to my list to check out. My recent discovery in a similar vein: Melechesh. Their last CD Epigenesis is fantastic.
Maldoror
Maldoror
720 posts

Re:
Feb 26, 2011, 16:06
mr sulcus wrote:
I've heard their name come up a few times recently, so have been added to my list to check out. My recent discovery in a similar vein: Melechesh. Their last CD Epigenesis is fantastic.

Don't know Melechesh yet, but I'll check it out.
mr sulcus
mr sulcus
399 posts

Re:
Feb 26, 2011, 19:18
They're "Mesopotamian black metal" and use middle eastern instruments and cues. Latest album Epigenesis is quite psychedelic in places with plenty of groove in amongst the double speed drumming. They add an exotic slant to a sometimes predictable genre with a different set of mythologies, and are incredible live.
GeeZa
GeeZa
137 posts

Re:
Mar 04, 2011, 05:45
I thought Kenose was one of the best underground metal records of all time. It was just a complete odd-ball piece of genius weirdness. They also get 10 devil horns out of 10 for the superb band name and the cool logo.

I find them on the whole difficult to listen to, but there are parts of their sonic palate where they're simply the most evil sounding wall of thrashy chaos out there. Genuinely crushing and mayhemic but with a sort of obsessive mathy construction. Not heard this latest one but it's on my "to buy" list. They're also sadly falling into that metal-insider category of being the latest band it's cool to dislike now (it just takes one hipster to buy a t-shirt and you're fucked).
Unsung Forum Index