Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Mart
Mart
214 posts

Re: Albums of the Year 2010
Dec 05, 2010, 14:26
machineryelf wrote:

Pantha Du Prince - Black Noise I have no idea what this is, some kinda minmal dance music, but it's beautiful, I keep meaning to open a thread to inquire about what bthis is and is there anything else like it

This is nice ! am listening to it as i write this, perfect sunday afternoon chill out music - to me its reminiscent of both Swim by Caribou and Four Tets There is Love in You.
Good Stuff cheers.
This whole thread is like christmas come early !
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Dec 05, 2010, 14:52
Feels like a fantastic year for music, though I may have just been paying a little more attention recently - and being active again on HH has made a big difference, some great recommendations.

Would have struggled to come up with a top ten for most years of the 00s, but for 2010, ten isn't enough:

1) These New Puritans - Hidden
2) Field Music - Measure (I reckon their baroque pop-prog would actually appeal to quite a few HHers - strong elements of Hammill and 80s King Crimson in here)
3) Magic Lantern - Platoon
4) Jane Weaver - The Fallen By Watchbird
5) Anta - The Tree That Bears The Equine Fruit (thanks in particular to whoever recommended this in the modern prog thread - a real grower)
6) Sun Araw - On Patrol
7) Klaxons - Surfing The Void
8) Bear In Heaven - Beast Rest Forth Mouth (technically 2009, but only got an official UK release this year)
9) Crippled Black Phoenix - I, Vigilante
10) Forest Swords - Dagger Paths
11) Motorpsycho - Heavy Metal Fruit
12) Tame Impala - Innerspeaker
13) Dungen - Skit I Allt
14) Voice Of The Seven Thunders - S/T
15) Majeure - Timespan

Plus honourable mentions for MGMT - Congratulations & Flying Lotus - Cosmogramma.

No doubt changes to this order and additions will be made over the coming months... have the new Eno, Third Eye Foundation and Salem albums on the way for Christmas
Kilgore Trout
95 posts

Dec 05, 2010, 16:24
Good to see someone else liking the Field Music album! Not wanting to pigeonhole people, i've always assumed (as an occassional contributor but frequent lurker!) that the proggier stuff that seems to go over best here is coming from the more psychedelic end of the genre (the 'freakiness'/atmospherics perhaps compensating for the indulgences).

You'd be hard pressed to call the Brewis brothers 'trippy' or whatever, but i think a lot of their stuff (especially this year's double album, 'Tones Of Town' and 'The Week That Was') has a welcome sense of adventurousness and unpredictability, not so much sonically but in terms of structure and composition - all that nerdy stuff!

Add in bits of mid-period XTC (not really the early stuff that's been ripped off to death), chamber pop and maybe even a dash of post-rock (the Gastr Del Sol/Jim O'Rourke type stuff) and there's hopefully something to get your teeth into.

At very least, DON'T lump them in with fellow Sunderland scene indie-pop types like The Futureheads and bloody Maximo Park! They're considerably more interesting than that if you ask me.
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Dec 05, 2010, 16:26
The Wants - The Phantom Band
Rancho Tetrahedron - Cathal Coughlan
Your Pain Is A Joke Next To Mines - The Just Joans
Petr & The Wulf - Munly & The Lupercalians
Realism - The Magnetic Fields
Latin - Holy Fuck
Buried Behind The Barn - Slim Cessna's Auto Club
Your Future Our Clutter - The Fall
Shakin Pop'n Roll - Spookey (I know this was last year, but I didn't get a hold of it until this year.)

Been a good year.
redfish365
redfish365
710 posts

Edited Dec 05, 2010, 16:30
Dec 05, 2010, 16:30
Mart wrote:
redfish365 wrote:

Grasscut/ 1 Inch/1/2 Mile

I am not alone !!!

It's a remarkable album and I liked it so much I bought my brother a copy (which he loves).
An unsung album that deserves to be heard. I only wish I was able to take the walk that inspired the music! When I cross the big pond again I WILL take the walk!
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Dec 05, 2010, 17:05
Kilgore Trout wrote:
Good to see someone else liking the Field Music album! Not wanting to pigeonhole people, i've always assumed (as an occassional contributor but frequent lurker!) that the proggier stuff that seems to go over best here is coming from the more psychedelic end of the genre (the 'freakiness'/atmospherics perhaps compensating for the indulgences).

You'd be hard pressed to call the Brewis brothers 'trippy' or whatever, but i think a lot of their stuff (especially this year's double album, 'Tones Of Town' and 'The Week That Was') has a welcome sense of adventurousness and unpredictability, not so much sonically but in terms of structure and composition - all that nerdy stuff!

Add in bits of mid-period XTC (not really the early stuff that's been ripped off to death), chamber pop and maybe even a dash of post-rock (the Gastr Del Sol/Jim O'Rourke type stuff) and there's hopefully something to get your teeth into.

At very least, DON'T lump them in with fellow Sunderland scene indie-pop types like The Futureheads and bloody Maximo Park! They're considerably more interesting than that if you ask me.

I actually came to them through the two solo albums - The Week That Was got all the big write-ups, but I like the School of Language album even more.

Incredibly creative band and increasingly rocking, and definitely NOT just quirky indie. Jim O'Rourke is a very good call.
Mart
Mart
214 posts

Dec 05, 2010, 19:17
redfish365 wrote:
Mart wrote:
redfish365 wrote:

Grasscut/ 1 Inch/1/2 Mile

I am not alone !!!

It's a remarkable album and I liked it so much I bought my brother a copy (which he loves).
An unsung album that deserves to be heard. I only wish I was able to take the walk that inspired the music! When I cross the big pond again I WILL take the walk!

100% agree with you here, very "english", beautifully illustrates the feeling of leaving the big city and taking a stroll in the South Downs. Wonderfull. Meltwater is particularly moving, Muppet's just mad ! As you say, a remarkable album that deserves to be heard, my ambition is to see em do it live.
burningwheel
61 posts

Dec 05, 2010, 20:00
where can i find this:

---->>>Eno - Lovely Bones Unreleased Score
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Dec 05, 2010, 20:29
burningwheel wrote:
where can i find this:

---->>>Eno - Lovely Bones Unreleased Score

Found on someone's Blogspot page in the summer. Eight tracks, no titles, about 15 minutes of music in all. Worth hunting down though.
machineryelf
3679 posts

Dec 05, 2010, 20:41
Mart wrote:
machineryelf wrote:

Pantha Du Prince - Black Noise I have no idea what this is, some kinda minmal dance music, but it's beautiful, I keep meaning to open a thread to inquire about what bthis is and is there anything else like it

This is nice ! am listening to it as i write this, perfect sunday afternoon chill out music - to me its reminiscent of both Swim by Caribou and Four Tets There is Love in You.
Good Stuff cheers.
This whole thread is like christmas come early !

Might have to have a rethink on 4tet then, my experience of them so far was a live show so terrible I walked out half way through and this Sabbath cover
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTM8aFH46QE
neither of which are very Pantha Du Prince
Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index