Albums of the Year 2010

Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
a23
a23
1004 posts

Re: Albums of the Year 2010
Dec 04, 2010, 20:34
Didn't know Maquiladora had a new release out. Or that Buzz or Howl had a triple new release out. Or about the 2003 live Maquiladora set in Japan...
all now ordered from Lotushouse for the mighty sum of £23...love those guys.
Five
Five
960 posts

Edited Dec 22, 2010, 19:59
Dec 04, 2010, 23:17
TOMMY SANTEE KLAWS - Rakes
*MATTHEW O'NEILL - The Harbor's Delight
*ZACKERY STARHEARTMOON - Rockstar Fuckup: The Hodge Podge Results Of Hours Spent Stoned

um

NEIL YOUNG - Le Noise
*RANGDA - Falsa Flag
SUN CITY GIRLS - Funeral Mariachi

um

(did any music actually come out this year? really?)

*NELS CLINE SINGERS - Initiate
*best reissue: HeENd archive ... http://neonbrown.com/heendarchive.html
*(I'll bet the new Marc Ribot is brilliant, too, but I haven't heard it yet)

um

SOLUS3
OMAR RODRIGUEZ-LOPEZ - not sure the titles, there were a few that were good ...

um

*MORIS TEPPER - A Singer Named Shotgun Throat
*DOGWEED - Lone Dog

JOHN NORWOOD - Music From The Motion Picture Awesome
(but I'm on that one, so maybe not qualify)

uh

(c'mon, culture, you can do better than this!!)

*edit ... gradually remembering or acquiring more and more that I liked from this year
redfish365
redfish365
710 posts

Dec 05, 2010, 06:29
A good year for musick this one... my list -

Wolf People/ Steeple

Sabbath Assembly/ Restored to One

Circle/ Rautatie

Teeth of the Sea/ Your Mercury

Grasscut/ 1 Inch/1/2 Mile

Black Angels/Phosphene Dream

Sun City Girls/ Funeral Mariachi

Electric Wizard/ Black Masses

Sleepy Sun/ Fever

Black Tempest/ Ex Proxima

Moon Duo/ Escape

Hawkwind/ Blood of the Earth

Arp/ The Soft Wave

White Hills/ ST

Endless Boogie/ Full House Head

Emeralds/ Does it Look Like I'm Here

Probably a couple others I'm forgetting but are worthy.

Disappointment of the year was the album Pharoah Overload issued in '10... its ok overall I suppose, a bit disjointed, but has nothing of the signature PO sound left. A radical departure that left me a little bummed.
landells
landells
680 posts

Dec 05, 2010, 11:07
I've had a quick flick through NME and Q: I have 2 of the NME's choices - Swans and The Fall; none from Q

The standout album in 2010 was The Wants by The Phantom Band
machineryelf
3681 posts

Dec 05, 2010, 11:43
think I'll bugger off and become a Q reader, not heard of half the bands mentioneed here, must be getting old

my rather pedestrian list

Black Tempest -Proxima/Ex Proxima always liked your music Mr S but you really hit the nail on the head with these two, most anticipated cd of 2011 is the next one

Spaceship - Out Of Time's Abyss surprised this didn't make more peoples list, an absolute stormer

Neil Young - Le Noise glad I stuck with this, first listen decided it was a bit of a worthy but dull experiment, luckily I got stuck with this 1cd and a long journey and repeated listens made me fall in love with it

Robert Plant - Band of JOy probably too dadrock for your average HH punter but I love this to bits

Faust Is Last thanks to Keith A for pointing me at this one, the fact that I think this rates with the best of Faust shows how good it is

Swans -My Father Will Guide Me Up A Rope To The Sky matches with the Children Of God period, a welcome return and addition to the Swans catalogue, supposedly the live shows were even better

Mono - Holy Ground having lived in the postrock second division for a while they finally acheived a premier div place with this gem

Pantha Du Prince - Black Noise I have no idea what this is, some kinda minmal dance music, but it's beautiful, I keep meaning to open a thread to inquire about what bthis is and is there anything else like it

Crippled Black Phoenix - I,Vigilante this years no1 postrock Floyd impersonators

Current 93 - Baalstorm,Sing Omega also voted as this years worst CD by the rest of mu family who seem to loathe David Tibet with a vengeance

Max Richter - Infra short but sweet, I've heard a fair bit of mainstream but slightly alt modern classical type thing, but on a tunes vs time scale this is a winner

Cathedral - Guessing Game the purists moan about Cathedral no longer being Doom incarnate, but who cares with music this goos, far better than the Trytykon cd

Buzz or Howl - Turquoise Studded Child of the 8 Armed Elephant Bride title of the year, sprawling 3cd set of varied ambient guitar drone, another Lotus House winner
landells
landells
680 posts

Dec 05, 2010, 12:12
Don't think you'll find (m)any of those albums in the Q Top 50... I don't even think Neil Young made it!

Have you got Look At Me Go - the 45min single track reworked version of My Father Will... ?
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2607 posts

Edited Dec 05, 2010, 12:45
Dec 05, 2010, 12:42
Have to confess to not having heard much new music this year. Maybe it's my time of life, or the fact that it's been such a lousy year in every other respect that I've drawn succour from tried and tested old aural friends. Whatever, the following have impressed me greatly:

Johnny Cash 'Ain't No Grave' (far from the barrel scraping exercise this could have been);
Clive Gregson 'Forward Into Reverse' (proving the man's outtakes to be at least as strong as his released output);
Paul Weller 'Wake Up The Nation' (Weller by numbers perhaps, and nothing like as inventive as '22 Dreams', but there's real staying power in these songs);
Urs Leimgruber & Evan Parker 'Twine' (where two stellar sax improvisers create a mesmerising racket at once both heavenly and unheavenly. Clear the vermin from your house with this!);
Eels 'Tomorrow Morning' (delicate songs from a contented - for once - Mr E);
Richard Thompson 'Dream Attic' (typically brilliant songs from a man at the top of his art - and dig that anti-Sting jibe);
Wyatt/Atzmon/Stephen 'For The Ghosts Within' (just lovely. Nuff said);
Elton John & Leon Russell 'The Union' (where the presence of a hero inspires old Reg to make his best album in decades);
Neil Young 'Le Noise' (over-produced in places, but Shakey's still on song in this unaccompanied yet electric - and often electrifying - new album);
Airbourne 'No Guts, No Glory' (cliched, sexist, offensive and predictable AC/DC ripoff metal. Thoroughly entertaining!).

Honourable mentions for these especially impressive remasters:

Deep Purple 'Come Taste The Band' (my favourite release of the year, for what it's worth);
Wigwam 'Being';
John & Yoko 'Some Time In New York City';
Soft Machine 'Bundles', 'Softs' and 'Land Of Cockaigne';
Thin Lizzy 'Thin Lizzy' 'Shades Of A Blue Orphanage' and 'Vagabonds Of The Western World';
David Bowie 'David Bowie' (i.e., the Deram debut);
Jackson Heights 'Bump'n'Grind';
James Taylor 'James Taylor';
and the stunning 180g vinyl reissue of The Doors 'Absolutely Live'.

Two fine box set anthologies worth anyone's money: Caravan's 'The World Is Yours' and Kevin Coyne's 'I Want My Crown'. English rock never got more distinctive than this. I'll no doubt want to include the massive Sandy Denny box as well, but I've only just bought it and there's a lot to take in!
Buck Flair
Buck Flair
796 posts

Dec 05, 2010, 13:18
White Hills - S/T
Teeth Of The Sea - Hypnoticon [12"]
White Pee - Wing Off A Plane
Teardrop Explodes - Kilimanjaro[Reissue 3 cd]
Sun Dial - S/T
Spaceship - Out Of Time's Abyss
David Wrench - Spades & Hoes & Plows
Gnod/White Hills - Gnod Drop Out With White Hills II
Congregacion - Viene [Reissue]
machineryelf
3681 posts

Dec 05, 2010, 13:25
landells wrote:
Don't think you'll find (m)any of those albums in the Q Top 50... I don't even think Neil Young made it!

Have you got Look At Me Go - the 45min single track reworked version of My Father Will... ?

Thought NY would be right up Qs street, but as I've not read it [or any other music publication bar Total Guitar & the summere edition of Mojo for the last 18 years I'm no expert]

Can't make my mind up on Look At Me Go, at 40 mins it's too big to digest easily, and as My Father is so good I've left it on the back burner, at the moment I'm rather glad I've got it but I'm not sure I'd recommend it as worth going that bit extra at the moment [actually just checked the Young God website, it's about £6 extra for the 2CD version, it's worth that, plus you can use the Cd booklet to scare small children

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_CId289lYIdc/TFSGEDGUnmI/AAAAAAAALbs/08ff-B5CQ20/s1600/Swans+headshots+black_1_large.jpg

that's a fucking hard paper round them boys have been doing]
Mart
Mart
214 posts

Dec 05, 2010, 14:20
redfish365 wrote:

Grasscut/ 1 Inch/1/2 Mile

I am not alone !!!
Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index