Re: Albums of the Year 2010
Dec 20, 2010, 19:30
Glad to hear it. It's very old and as you'd expect. But soem tasty riffs/hooks
Jasonaparkes
Jasonaparkes
876 posts

Dec 20, 2010, 20:58
http://www.flashlightmusic.co.uk/editorial/article/flashlight-best-albums-of-2010-50-to-41.html

http://www.flashlightmusic.co.uk/editorial/article/flashlight-best-albums-of-2010-40-to-31.html
toasted-whippet
toasted-whippet
86 posts

Dec 21, 2010, 20:30
Enjoying this thread, listening to a lot of stuff I would never otherwise hear via your mentions and youtube.

My (rather conservative) votes go to

Monster Magnet - Mastermind
Dragontears - 2000 Micrograms from home
Motorhead - The World Is Yours
Hawkwind - Blood of the Earth

Best Reissue
Uriah Heep - Salisbury
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Dec 21, 2010, 20:42
toasted-whippet wrote:
Enjoying this thread, listening to a lot of stuff I would never otherwise hear via your mentions and youtube.

My (rather conservative) votes go to

Monster Magnet - Mastermind
Dragontears - 2000 Micrograms from home
Motorhead - The World Is Yours
Hawkwind - Blood of the Earth

Best Reissue
Uriah Heep - Salisbury

What's Dragontears like dude? The band name and album title give me thrills before I've heard a note.

You're enjoying The World is Yours then? Me too! Some filthy bluseyness and bottom end grooves going on there I think. Dirty riffage and even some stuff like if early Quo met Lemmy in an alley and he dosed em with something nasty!
toasted-whippet
toasted-whippet
86 posts

Dec 21, 2010, 20:49
I found out about Dragontears from a mention on these boards.

Kinda like a "Monster Magnet" Lite - crap description, but I don't know what else to say

their myspace is here
http://www.myspace.com/dragontears2000
a23
a23
1004 posts

Dec 21, 2010, 21:15
I'm struggling to put together a list for this year. I've bought a lot of music, much of it has been old stuff either remasters or filling gaps in my collection. From those new sounds this year I have liked the following (no particular order)

Spaceship - Out of Time's Abyss

Wooden Shjips - Vol 2

MV & EE - so many to choose from this year, but probably "Liberty Rose" cos it's just perfect and the live "Trossachs" set from glasgow, cos it was a great show to be at.

Swans - My father will guide me up a rope

Neil Young - Le Noise - almost didn;t buy this, but glad i did

Joanna Newsom - Have one on me

VA - Deutsche Electronische Musik

PTV3 - Alien Brain vs Maggot Brain

Moon Duo - Escape

Probably add David Wrench Ploughs/hoes etc although it's not an easy listen, but i do love his voice.
sencha
sencha
91 posts

Dec 21, 2010, 21:27
toasted-whippet wrote:

Best Reissue
Uriah Heep - Salisbury

What is 'Salisbury' like? Are you hearing sounds you didn't hear before? Clearer?

I never listened to Uriah Heep on a good system, regarded them as a kind of Deep Purple light

though when I think about it now there aren't really many similarities.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Dec 22, 2010, 01:25
toasted-whippet wrote:
I found out about Dragontears from a mention on these boards.

Kinda like a "Monster Magnet" Lite - crap description, but I don't know what else to say

their myspace is here
http://www.myspace.com/dragontears2000

Thankings. Will sniff about, ta!
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Dec 22, 2010, 01:35
sencha wrote:
toasted-whippet wrote:

Best Reissue
Uriah Heep - Salisbury

What is 'Salisbury' like? Are you hearing sounds you didn't hear before? Clearer?

I never listened to Uriah Heep on a good system, regarded them as a kind of Deep Purple light

though when I think about it now there aren't really many similarities.

They are probably more of a special band than their perennial 2nd division status might imply.

It's only relatively recently I've got into what might be termed 'classic' Heep, i.e the early David Byron era and I have to say I was blown away by the mix of primitive but potent riffing, Queen style vocal histrionics and harmonies (surely an influence on Freddie n co really) and Hammond power. But, also, the gentler side of things has it's own attraction too - deffo got that UK prog whimsy of its time going on.

I've got a couple of the 80's Pete Goalby fronted albums and they are pretty good in a melodi-rock kinda way, and they still keep those big harmonies going. The recentish "Wake the Sleeper" album is an utterly fab melding of classic Heepisms and a more contemporary hard rock edge. A properly great rock album should you be inclined to have a listen.
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1701 posts

Dec 22, 2010, 20:26
I'm still trying to digest and assess the 50+ new release albums I've acquired this year- not counting old stuff, or the promos I got sent but decided weren't for me and took to a charity shop after one listen. There's also a whole load of stuff- most of the stuff raved about by people on here and on other respected music sites- that I haven't even heard yet. At the moment though,

Phantom- Smoke and Mirrors
Sound Carriers- Celeste
Wolf People- Steeple

look unlikely to be dislodged from the top 3 spot. Will post more fully when I feel able.
Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 19 10 11 12 13 14 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index