Albums of the Year 2010

Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Carlos
Carlos
3884 posts

Re: Albums of the Year 2010
Dec 04, 2010, 14:56
"Throughout his career Sylvian has worked with many collaborators and this compilation brings together 15 of his collaborations from the past decade, with the final track being a solo production." Very good stuff!
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Dec 04, 2010, 15:22
Sin Agog wrote:
Janelle Monáe - The ArchAndroid

Good to see that there. Some top songwriting on that album imo.
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Dec 04, 2010, 15:29
There's no way on God's Earth I could narrow down this (or any year) to a Top 10. The main reason being that I've bought so much this year I can't keep track of it all, let alone choose only 10.

So... I'm just going to lurk on others' posts with interest and stroke my goatee sagely whilst nodding at the impeccable taste you've all got. Sorry.
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Edited Dec 04, 2010, 15:35
Dec 04, 2010, 15:35
mingtp wrote:
Sin Agog wrote:
Janelle Monáe - The ArchAndroid

Good to see that there. Some top songwriting on that album imo.

It's a sweet album but I do think I might just about prefer her earlier EP, The Metropolis Suite (or something like that). Prog Soul is a genre I'd love to see come into existence.

I just realised I forgot to put The Fallen By-Watch Bird by Jane Weaver in there. That's probably gotten more spins than most of the rest of my top ten.
landells
landells
680 posts

Dec 04, 2010, 15:48
Monolith Cocktail wrote:

Various – ‘Nigeria Special Vol.2: Modern Highlife, Afro Sounds and Nigerian Blues 1970-76’

Oooooooh! That's sounds promising. I've got Nigeria Disco Funk Special: The Sound of the Underground Lagos Dancefloor 1974-79, which is funking excellent
eyeshakingking
eyeshakingking
379 posts

Dec 04, 2010, 15:50
Absolutely fantastic year, imo.

I've been keeping track of the best releases this year w/ a list on RYM.

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/Eye_Shaking_King/best_of_2010

It's currently 75 albums long, so I'll just post the link instead of the list itself. I'll post a shorter top 25 or something when I have more time.
Kilgore Trout
95 posts

Dec 04, 2010, 16:17
Haven't bought that much new stuff this year (limited funds etc.), but from what i managed to hear...

*Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti - Before Today (wonderful mid-fi, warm-n-fuzzy psychedelic pop with an interesting, if divisive, 80's slant - one of his best albums)
*Field Music - Measure (not a very HH-type album, but great, unpredictable prog/funk/chamber-pop - at least one of the brothers has a classical background and it shows in the ornate arrangements, also superb live in Liverpool)
*Deerhunter - Halcyon Digest (saw these guys play a blistering set in Manchester before the album came out - clearly indebted to 90's shoegaze/lo-fi indie, but with some superb songs and personality(?) to back it up)
*Owen Pallett - Heartland (again, not for everyone, orchestral pop of the mannered, slightly pretentious variety, but when it works, it's magical)
*Here We Go Magic - Pigeons (didn't really live up to their addictive debut, but a handful of the songs are still among my year's best)
*Julian Lynch - Mare (charming, sleepy drone-pop, took a bit of getting into but well worth the perseverance)
*Beach House - Teen Dream (stunning on first listen, but ended up feeling a bit cold and mannered (very 'hipster'-ish(?!)) - still some fine tracks, mind)
*Robyn Hitchcock - Propellor Time (a grab-bag of leftover tracks from the Venus 3 sessions a few years ago - doesn't hang together as an album but entertaining all the same (again, great live in Liverpool too!))

Haven't heard the new Robert Wyatt collab yet, but hopefully that will be of a similar standard.
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Dec 04, 2010, 16:31
I've been mining that list for a couple of weeks now. Most of the stuff I've heard has been pretty stunning...just not digested it yet.
eyeshakingking
eyeshakingking
379 posts

Dec 04, 2010, 16:48
If you need a sneaky download link for anything on there, just ask!
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Dec 04, 2010, 17:20
Genuinely harrowing and atypically stripped down. Voice and piano suits him in some ways better than the extravagent stuff. There are also worse co-writers than the Great Bard himself! Highly recommendable for anyone who likes his voice but find his usual productions a bit over-egged.
Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index