Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Re: Soundtracks to our lives w/e 13/11/10
Nov 17, 2010, 13:33
IanB wrote:
Robot Emperor wrote:
In your debt. Off down to the libary now then.

Just finished Harold Schonberg's "Lives of the great composers" which I thought was the best general overview of classical music I have come across, at least up to the Second Viennese School. Recomended to anybody trying to get at least a fingerhold on this vast store of brilliance.

Haven't read that. I will seek it out. I know very little of the biographical details of composers' lives before Schoenberg, Berg and Webern as I don't like to read a very technical anaysis of music and a lot of classical music writing seems to lean that way. I have read a couple of Mozart bios but the Mahler book was a major revelation.
The astonishing thing about Mahler is how much he belongs to our 20th and 21st centuries.

Just back from the Barbican library. I managed to get "Lives of the Great Composers" and the Mahler 3 recording mentioned above, but not the Mahler book, unfortunately. I hope I'll get round to reading LOTGCs, but it is a huge hardback and I don't know if I'll be bothered to carry it on the train with me!

Thanks you two!
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index