IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Nov 17, 2010, 09:32
Re: Soundtracks to our lives w/e 13/11/10
Nov 17, 2010, 09:30
Squid Tempest wrote:
Robot Emperor wrote:
I'm sure someone confessed earlier to listening to Barclay James Harvest but seems' to have edited their post Stalin stylee. So, in the style of an Alcholics Anonymous meeting, I HAVE LISTENED TO THE FIRST FOUR BARCLAY JAMES HARVEST ALBUMS. Better than I thought they would be. Don't seem to have the courage of their convictions though, a bit half assed.

http://www.headheritage.co.uk/headtohead/unsung/topic/60434/threaded/765170

Not edited! I've been enjoying Everyone is Everybody Else lately, particularly as my 12 yr old son has decided he really likes it (he's usually an AC/DC & Motorhead type). I know what you mean about the half assed thing. I do find their albums patchy. I wonder if it is the alternating song-writers thing they tend to do that causes that?

I don't mind Once Again and the live album. They are dead patchy. Then again there were a lot of acts like that in the early > mid 70s

35-40 years on I am not always sure what the point of this music is.
I get the same feeling listening to some Wishbone Ash. And Camel. And Procol Harum. Baker Gurvitz. All those City Hall / New London Theatre / New Vitoria type bands. Too grand for the Roundhouse not big enough for the Odeon. On the right day they still sound good in doses but it's the bands that pushed the extremes of good sense that really work for me. The Camels and the Caravans and the BJHs just don't have that thing where you sense the musicians are doing the inadvisable regardless of consequences. Yes nearly always had that. Genesis had it up to Duke. ELP (love them or hate them) also.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index