Soundtracks to our lives w/e 13/11/10

84 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9570 posts

Re: Soundtracks to our lives w/e 13/11/10
Nov 14, 2010, 23:34
A LIFETIME OF TEMPORARY RELIEF – Low
Subtitled ‘10 Years Of B-Sides & Rarities’, this is an excellent box-set from a few years back. It comes complete with brief but informative notes and includes lots of cover versions – Wire, Spacemen 3, Beach Boys, Dylan, Harrison, The Smiths, Pink Floyd, etc, all of which are well worth a listen. The one I enjoyed most this week, however, was their truly fab take on the Bee Gees I Started A Joke.

BONA DRAG – Morrissey
Enjoyed hearing all these early solo A and B sides so much that I played it again straight afterwards. I love them all but I especially enjoyed November Spawned A Monster, Last Of The International Playboys, Everyday Is Like Sunday and Lucky Lisp this week.

BACKING OFF IS FOR THE OTHER BAND – Roger
I could do without the lengthy wig-out that closes the album, but otherwise this is a lot of fun. With an added ‘k’!

HOPE & ANCHOR FRONT ROW – V/A
Double LP that was pretty well-known way back because of live performances from a number of punk / new wave acts (Stranglers, X Ray Spex, Only Ones, XTC, etc) though in truth a good 50% or so of the album is by acts associated with the pub rock scene. An interesting period piece all the same.

ALSO...
SMILEY SMILE / WILD HONEY – The Beach Boys
THE ONLY FUN IN TOWN – Josef K
SWEET CERTAIN SURPRISE – John Martyn
COMMERCIAL SUICIDE – Colin Newman
COACHELLA – The Pixies
HATFUL OF HOLLOW – The Smiths
THE SKY ABOVE THE ROOF - Solus 3
HEAVY DEEDS – Sun Araw
SPECULATION – To Rococo Rot
CUBIST BLUES – Alan Vega / Alex Chilton / Ben Chilton
Topic Outline: