172 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Re: The Monkees ?
Oct 28, 2010, 16:13
dodge one wrote:
Harry Nillson, Neil Diamond and Paul Williams were the 'REAL' Monkees....amongst many other writers and studio musicians.
I think its funny that the Monkees are getting the REVISIONIST assesment nowadays by folks who were'nt even born yet during there tenure.
Like the boy bands of the modern era, a TV fabrication that took it self too seriously.
Light hearted POP if nothing else played by real'crack' L.A. studio musicians in the majority.

What is wrong with people re-assessing the past? Sometimes cultural associations and myths lead to incorrect assumptions. I know, for example, that I hated Japan because I met them in their early days and they were rude, so I never took their music seriously. It was only years later after much prodding from a big Japan fan that I re-listened and realised I liked what I heard. We all make mistakes.

And this is re-assessment I think, rather than revisionism. It matters not a jot whether you were born or not then - I was born then, and old enough to remember the big Beatles/Monkees rivalry between young fans at the time over here in the UK. That dosn't mean things can't be re-assesed. To say anything else smacks of snobbery to me.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index