C93 - Aleph at Hallucinatory Mountain

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

C93 - Aleph at Hallucinatory Mountain
Sep 14, 2010, 11:08
Is this worth getting? I found a large chunk of Black Ships v hard going.
machineryelf
3681 posts

Re: C93 - Aleph at Hallucinatory Mountain
Sep 14, 2010, 11:36
probably not, what parts of Black Ships did you have problems with, if it was the overall wyrdfolke aesthetic then Aleph will only annoy you more, and Baalstorm will drive you potty.
fauny fergus
fauny fergus
310 posts

Sep 14, 2010, 11:49
Yeah, it depends on which bits of Black Ships annoyed you. The endless variations on Idumæa annoyed me and I quote liked Aleph, natch ymmv.

Not heard Baalstorm yet but will probably pick it up. I'm still hoping for another Nick Saloman collab.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Sep 14, 2010, 11:56
Sep 14, 2010, 11:55
machineryelf wrote:
probably not, what parts of Black Ships did you have problems with, if it was the overall wyrdfolke aesthetic then Aleph will only annoy you more, and Baalstorm will drive you potty.

The singing really (other than the guests).
machineryelf
3681 posts

Sep 14, 2010, 12:14
IanB wrote:

best admit defeat then, as Aleph has even more of Mr Tibet, if you want to be really put off I'd recommend listening to his cover of Tamlin
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Sep 14, 2010, 13:02
Sep 14, 2010, 12:55
machineryelf wrote:
IanB wrote:

best admit defeat then, as Aleph has even more of Mr Tibet, if you want to be really put off I'd recommend listening to his cover of Tamlin

I love that song even when it is being murdered. Will check it out.

I do love the early Ulver stuff in this vein so maybe it is easier to take in a foreign language but the tone of Tibet's singing on "Ships" makes me deeply miserable. Takes funereal to the next level.

I had a similar problem with some of the folky DIJ records I was recommended a while back. And Andrew King too. To my ears it is the vocal equivalent of reading "The Road" in the rain on an especially purgatorial park bench and with stones in my shoes. Whereas the music itself does quite a lot for me as it touches a Popol Vuh nerve. Which is why I was also turned on by Fovea Hex.

Perhaps I am too much the Romantic but where "Four Last Songs" or "Song of the Earth" hits the spot this doesn't really. And it is all down to the vocal mannerisms. With more of the Clodagh Simonds / Shirley Collins thing it would probably be a big favourite.
machineryelf
3681 posts

Sep 14, 2010, 13:11
IanB wrote:
machineryelf wrote:
IanB wrote:

I do love the early Ulver stuff in this vein so maybe it is easier to take in a foreign language but the tone of Tibet's singing on "Ships" makes me deeply miserable. Takes funereal to the next level.

I had a similar problem with some of the folky DIJ records I was recommended a while back. And Andrew King too. To my ears it is the vocal equivalent of reading "The Road" in the rain on an especially purgatorial park bench and with stones in my shoes. Whereas the music itself does quite a lot for me as it touches a Popol Vuh nerve. Which is why I was also turned on by Fovea Hex. Perhaps I am too much the Romantic but where "Four Last Songs" or "Song of the Earth" hits the spot this doesn't really. And it is all down to the vocal mannerisms. With more of the Clodagh Simonds thing it would probably be a big favourite.

You can get away with murder in a foreign tounge, those DIJ tunes would benefit greatly from being in Peruvian, they are trying a tad too hard even for me, OOH!! We're DIJ a bit rightwing, bit spooky , non too happy with the world BOO!!
A lot of C93 seems to involve droning, it's not as ''folky '' as Ulver IMHO and James Blackshaw provides the odd tasteful flourish here & there
I have a CD of harmonium drones which is nice in a background droney type manner but I don't think that Tibet really does happy
Will check out Fovea Hex, they haven't come up on my radar yet
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Sep 14, 2010, 13:56
Sep 14, 2010, 13:39
machineryelf wrote:
IanB wrote:
machineryelf wrote:
IanB wrote:

I had a similar problem with some of the folky DIJ records I was recommended a while back. And Andrew King too. To my ears it is the vocal equivalent of reading "The Road" in the rain on an especially purgatorial park bench and with stones in my shoes. Whereas the music itself does quite a lot for me as it touches a Popol Vuh nerve. Which is why I was also turned on by Fovea Hex. Perhaps I am too much the Romantic but where "Four Last Songs" or "Song of the Earth" hits the spot this doesn't really. And it is all down to the vocal mannerisms. With more of the Clodagh Simonds thing it would probably be a big favourite.

You can get away with murder in a foreign tounge, those DIJ tunes would benefit greatly from being in Peruvian, they are trying a tad too hard even for me, OOH!! We're DIJ a bit rightwing, bit spooky , non too happy with the world BOO!!
A lot of C93 seems to involve droning, it's not as ''folky '' as Ulver IMHO and James Blackshaw provides the odd tasteful flourish here & there
I have a CD of harmonium drones which is nice in a background droney type manner but I don't think that Tibet really does happy
Will check out Fovea Hex, they haven't come up on my radar yet

Fovea Hex is kinda "Brian and Roger Eno Play C93 / DIJ". The connection with C93 and, more importanty for me, Porcupine Tree, is Clodagh Simonds. It drones mightily.

This is probably deeply dubious on some psychological level but I find it hard (almost impossible) to associate the female singing voice with any kind of malevolence. Which is funny because two or three of the most unpleasant people I have ever come across have been female lead singers. My Mum couldn't sing and neither can my sister so it isn't some cradle memory.

And as you say in a foreign tongue you can get away with anything. Just ask Liz Fraser. Or Jon Anderson.
zerkalo
zerkalo
488 posts

Sep 14, 2010, 14:57
Black Ships was their last album I bought so that's not much help, but it was Ben Chasny's guitar that stood out on that album for me. He's had James Blackshaw and Keith Wood (Hush Arbors) guesting on various tours/recordings of late so now might be a good time to catch up with their recent material for me. I've got a bit of a love hate thing with C93, find alot it painfully pretentious then they come up with something as beautiful as http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Wn1N8gBjKM
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Sep 14, 2010, 15:57
Sep 14, 2010, 15:56
fauny fergus wrote:
Yeah, it depends on which bits of Black Ships annoyed you. The endless variations on Idumæa annoyed me and I quote liked Aleph, natch ymmv.

Not heard Baalstorm yet but will probably pick it up. I'm still hoping for another Nick Saloman collab.

I know little or nothing about this scene (such as it is) but am open to recommendations. Love a lot of the music i have heard especially when it dove-tails with Popol Vuh territory. The "Woe Is Me! I Left My Morris Bells At A Test Department Gig" vocals not so much.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index