99 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Re: Live Albums
Sep 10, 2010, 16:44
Robot Emperor wrote:
So true about live albums being a good introduction to a band in the days before the internet, when everything was just so much harder to find. Explains why I have had so many over the years. Many of the albums you mention I have only got to listen to over the last few years thanks to the internet - The SAHB one for example. So I am finding new live albums all the time - most of them over thirty years old though.

Some more old fav's

Status Quo Live. Come on it's great. Would be surprised if this was one of those "almost live" heavily doctored albums. Chancers they may have been

One Live Badger. A debut album which is also a live album. Is this unique? Produced by Jon Anderson at the concert Yessongs was recorded. Have never met anyone else who likes it. Even people who think Yes went downhill after Tony Kaye left.

Greetings Emperor, I was a bit worried you were going to forget Badger! Despite being a fantastic amalgam of Floyd/Traffic (and most definitely NOT Yes), it's a ridiculously unknown/under-rated album. Other than obscurity, the Yes connection really doesn't help ie. Yes fans probably don't like it, non-Yes fans probably steer clear of it because of the connection. Oh, and it's also Christian rock... Blimey, I'm really not selling this, but honestly, it's a great and genuinely Unsung album, heavy prog gospel years before Spiritualized :-)

Most of my fave lives have already been listed:
Hawkwind/Space Ritual (unsurpassably awesome)
King Crimson/USA & Earthbound (the latter gets a bad rep, but it's got to be the grungiest 'prog' record ever released, with a ferocious version of Schizoid Man)
Magazine/Play (I'd say most of the versions are better than the studio originals)
Rush/Exit Stage Left (contains THAT version of Tom Sawyer, nuff said)

Has anybody had the second BOC live album, Some Enchanted Evening? Fantastic versions of Astronomy, Godzilla and Don't Fear The Reaper.

And finally, how could you all forget Unleashed in the East from the mighty Judas Priest! Great versions of all the early greats - Victim of Changes, Tyrant, Genocide - plus a super cover of Fleetwood Mac's Green Manalishi.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index