Topic View: Flat | Threaded
texlahoma
texlahoma
891 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 15 August 2010 CE
Aug 15, 2010, 19:54
keith a wrote:
EX-PROXIMA – Black Tempest
I missed out on the last one, as I thought BT was the moniker of Squid’s guitar stuff which, I hope he doesn’t mind me saying, I’m less keen on than his electronic work (I’d loved The Rain Clouds Gather a few years ago). I think it was only when I was listening back to the Squidpods and heard some of Proxima that I realised that this was of that ilk by which time it was too late and it was sold out. Anyway, only just got this one and it’s sounding really good!

THE BIG HEAT – Stan Ridgway
The 80’s production (c/o Hugh Jones) dates this one badly, with Camouflage standing high and mighty above everything else. Interestingly, one of the better other tracks here is called Drive She Said. I always thought Julian had taken The Beatles Drive My Car as his inspiration for his DSS, but Stan’s even has the backing singers repeating the title.

HOW TO LIVE – Seeland
Sometimes you just know within a few minutes of an album starting that you’re going to like it, and this is such a thing. OK, it helps that you thought there last one was the album of the year in 2009, but the intro to Black Dot White Spider is fab in a Warm Leatherette kinda way before veering off in a more Motorik direction. And as with the last one there’s some great pop sensibility here. Also gave last year’s Goodbye single and its 10 minute b-side a spin this week.

HALLOWED GROUND – Violent Femmes
Definitely Top 100 material. It’s been great playing this one again of late.

ALSO...

CYCLE-DELIC SOUNDS – The Arrows featuring Davie Allan

HOME AGAIN - Edwyn Collins

FLOORED GENIUS – Julian Cope

BLONDE ON BLONDE – Bob Dylan

24 YEARS OF HUNGER - Eg & Alice

KISSIN’ TIME – Marianne Faithful

PAPA NEW GUINEA / MY KINGDOM (CD SINGLES)– Future Sound Of London

THERE IS LOVE IN YOU – Four Tet

PLASTIC BEACH – Gorillaz

S/T – Richard Hawley

S/T – Darren Hayman & the Secondary Modern

PROTECTION – Massive Attack

THEME / WILMUR (CD SINGLES)– Sabres Of Paradise

A WEB OF SOUND – The Seeds

PEEL SESSIONS – The Slits

HOME – Spearhead

RIDING THE TIMES 12" SINGLE - Thirst

Not sure if you know but Squid put a full quality version of Proxima on his band camp page.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index