60 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Aug 16, 2010, 11:17
Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 15 August 2010 CE
Aug 15, 2010, 18:12
Skream - Outside the Box
I'm enjoying this more than I expected to - thought Skream would be to dubstep what Goldie was to drum'b'bass (i.e. the white man's intellectually acceptable coffee table approximation) but it's a tad more edgy than that. As far as the genre's concerned the only other album I own Ministry of Sound's 2-disc "This is Dubstep" compo, as most dubstep is issued on vinyl only and I don't have a record player anymore (although I've been to several dubstep nights and enjoyed them). Whether or not it will stand the test of time, who knows...

Ryuichi Sakamoto - Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence
Definitely better than the film, which itself was no disaster despite providing a platform for David Bowie's questionable acting career.

Various - Rough Trade Post Punk 01
Getting so old that even the early noughties post-punk REVIVAL seems like a distant memory to me now. As such things tend to go in cycles, I predict a revival of the revival sometime around 2022. Cynicism aside, though, this is about as good primer for the uninitiated as any. Doubtless if I was 15 I'd be boring my friends in wannabe-Simon Reynolds-style by pontificating about how punk's greatest legacy was the bands who surfaced two or three years after it ended.

Leonard Cohen - The Essential Leonard Cohen
Pretty much the definitive Cohen overview, perhaps down to the fact that the songs were selected by the man himself - which can either be a recipe for disaster (artists not always being the best qualified judges of their own work) or a triumph, as in this case. Unlike most of his contemporaries - if he ever had any, really - he's managed to grow old gracefully whilst still remaining ahead of the musical curve. The synths and back-up voices that chracterise his late 80s/early 90s work would sound almost unbearably cheesy in the hands of anyone else (except Momus, perhaps) but his world-weary singing and lyrics add just the right amount of scholarly detachment to offset them.

Status Quo - Early Years
Good compilation of lightweight but infectious psych/pop singles they released whilst before Rick Parfitt and Francis Rossi invented Repetitive Strain Injury forgot how to play anything other than kackneyed 12-bar blues riffs (except for the sacrosanct "Down Down" of course, which would have been an irritatingly excellent gonzoid rock single even if it had been a collaboration between Susan Boyle and A Flux of Pink Indians.)

Sonic Youth - A Thousand Leaves
Their last great album, IMO. Much more chilled and cntemplative than anything they'd heretofore released, as well as providng a helpful hint in the title as to what you should put in your Rizlas in order to appreciate the spare and sometimes legnthy guitar jams that comprise most of this album (even if there is a breif window left open or post-Riot Grrrl urgency in Kim Gordon's "The Ineffable Me").

Super Furry Animals - Guerrila
Not their last good album, but the only one that's a mind-blower from start to finish.

David Ackles - s/t
Just burning those discs for you now, Mr Sea Cat - check "Down River" for a taste of what Phil Collins would sound like if he'd had another one of his mumerous mid-life crises and decided than Nick Cave, rather than his wife's accounctant, would be his primary inspiration from now on.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index