Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 15 August 2010 CE

60 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 15 August 2010 CE
Aug 15, 2010, 16:48
A few live albums, after enjoying the collection of live 70s albums from Dave 3000s Kosmik Radiation show again (it got me wondering what else I'd have included):

Focus Live at the Rainbow : a storming album.
David Bowie - Stage : among many, I love Station to Station on this.
Joni Mitchell - Miles of Aisles : one I'd forgotten about which Dave played.

Other CDs:

Wishbone Ash - There's the Rub/Locked In twofer.
Enjoying There's the Rub muchly, but no so muchly Locked In yet.

Suicide 1st (with Live at CBGBs 1978) - caught a couple of Suicide tracks on another of Dave's shows and dug this out.

Queen II - Splendid! The template for Muse?

Soft Machine Third (with bonus disc)
Hadn't heard this before. I'm familiar with 1 and 2, which I must admit I like but don't necessarily enjoy IYKWIM. Now Third I really really like. It reminds me of the early jazz bits of Gong (Camembert era). Anyone recommend and of the later albums, which I'm also unfamiliar with?

High Wolf - Shangri L.A.
Wasn't sure about this on first listen, it sounded a bit one-dimensional with the repetetive tribal beats/loops. Further listens revealed some gorgeous detail though, and I can't stop listening to it now. Recommended.

Emeralds - Does it Look Like I'm Here
Still enjoying this, despite the slightly saccharine beauty.

Vinyl:

Solus 3 - The Sky Above The Roof
Wow - this sounds great in it's vinyl incarnation. Wonderful full and resonant sound. I must admit I wish that there were more instrumental tracks on this, but it is a really great summers record overall. Get one!

Demdike Stare - Liberation Through Hearing
Great stuff, but I'm still preferring Forest of Evil. Love the big drum throom sound.

Thomas Koner - Nunatak/Teimo/Permafrost
Absolutely stunning trio of drone/ambient underwater gong sounds. Apparently now available as a triple CD at a cheaper price.

Live Dead
Another great live album dug out after listening to Kosmik Radiation's Dead show. Good to play this on record too, kinda feels right!
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index