60 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
flashbackcaruso
1053 posts

Edited Aug 15, 2010, 00:27
Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 15 August 2010 CE
Aug 15, 2010, 00:26
Silvery - Railway Architecture

The Coral - Magic & Medicine (Andfurthermoreagain's recent Unsung review has had me playing a lot of Coral this week. This is the album of theirs I find most satisfying)
The Coral - Nightfreak & The Sons Of Becker (this one is the most fun, proving the virtues of spontaneity and definitely worth its inclusion in Unsung)
The Coral - The Invisible Invasion (I always remembered this to be a bit of a disappointment after the first 3, but it has much of the same spookiness and invention. Excellent appropriation of a Tago Mago drum pattern on the opening song)
The Coral - Roots & Echoes (sadly this is as bland as I remembered. Opening song is good but is a bit too Ocean Colour Scene for comfort. Only the closing song has any real resonance. Just got Butterfly House, so will be hoping to have the mooted return to form confirmed this week)

The Beach Boys - Today (the first really rainy week of what has been a surprisingly hot summer seemed a good time to gorge myself on Brian's journey into melancholy)
The Beach Boys - Summer Days (& Summer Nights!) (still can't get over the majesty of the instrumental breaks on 'Salt Lake City' and 'Help Me Rhonda': spine-tingling walls of sound)
The Beach Boys - Party (this broke the spell somewhat, but has some decent moments amongst the faked revelry)
The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds (no need for an Unsung review for this album)

The Beta Band - The Beta Band (the album the band themselves described as 'fucking awful' before it was even released, I much prefer it to their more streamlined later albums)

The Monkees - Head (how this cut'n'paste masterpiece didn't give the prefab four instant credibility is beyond me)

Yes - Close To The Edge

The Bees - Free The Bees (couldn't really get the fuss around their debut album, but this one is packed full of instant classics. Funnily enough I didn't think they could top it so didn't bother buying the follow up)

The Move - Looking On (my favourite Move album)
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index