Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Aug 06, 2010, 21:31
Re: ZZ Top
Aug 06, 2010, 21:24
mojojojo wrote:
Totally agree with that post. Think Rio Grande Mud is my favourite, with Duguello. But then there's Tejas, and Tres Hombres. Ah, fuck it...

Hand me another one of them brews from back there.

x

Fandango (the first record of theirs I was aware of) did nothing for me. I also had a thing around the age of 13 about not buying records by men with beards. So they were out on two counts. Then I remember hearing "Arrested For Driving While Blind" on Nicky Horne's show for the first time and being gob-smacked and fallling in love with that album before going back to the early records. Tejas is total genius. It just sounds so great. Simultaneously warm and spikey. A glass of ice shavings on an outrageously humid day. Like an especially louche Status Quo. First album is killer too (Lunar Dunes played the fast part of Brown Sugar in rehearsal a few times) and Tres Hombes. Love them all up to the one after Eliminator. Still have a bit of a blind spot with Fandango though. Of the boots I really like Rockpalast 80. It's a half way house between the early stuff and the disco boogie stuff.
konaman
konaman
533 posts

Aug 06, 2010, 22:24
Billy Gibbons fetched up at Goodwood Festival of Speed the other week

played a bitty geetar with Jeff Beck, then roared up the hill in one of his fabbo cars, looking just like a flyin' saucer...
Jasonaparkes
Jasonaparkes
876 posts

Aug 06, 2010, 22:53
They furcking rock....
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Aug 08, 2010, 14:30
I do like a bit of Top, though my interest waned post Afterburner, or rather waned when Afterburner was revealed to be a not as good Eliminator.

Think Deguello is my overall Top fave. I think there's an almost Zappa like sense of the absurd in some of ZZ Top's albums which gets overlooked, and it's particularly prevalent on Deguello IMO.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Aug 08, 2010, 15:29
Aug 08, 2010, 15:18
Vybik Jon wrote:
I think she meant the fact that 2 of them hold qualifications in primate studies, but hilariously this doesn't include Billy Gibbons!

I thought it was that both Billy Gibbons and Frank Beard live on top of a windy, desert mound but, as fate would have it, Dusty Hill lives in a minimalist basement flat!
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7717 posts

Aug 08, 2010, 16:22
Indeed!

http://www.headheritage.co.uk/headtohead/unsung/topic/59028/threaded/745481
toasted-whippet
toasted-whippet
86 posts

Aug 09, 2010, 21:29
great band, long been one of my favourites. Hated them as a trendy student in the 1980's, couldn't get away from those MTV videos in pubs. Since realised what a great blues band they are, and now love the 80s stuff, although Deguello, particularly "Fool for your stockings", is my favourite.

They were fecking brilliant at High Voltage too.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Aug 10, 2010, 14:32
Bah! Ok....er

Hey, long time producer Bill HAM, was, hysterically, a devout vegan! Maybe...
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7717 posts

Aug 26, 2010, 12:50
Still reacquainting myself.

It's So Hard from El Loco - sublime. (And not a crude sexual reference this time).
badachro
badachro
2 posts

Aug 27, 2010, 13:00
Saw them live in the Dallas Arena, Texas in 1987, home state blues - fantastic. The early stuff does it for me, catch the Texas Six Pack for a bargain collection of all their early tracks.
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index