Bowie, genius or not...

135 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
stray
stray
2057 posts

Re: Bowie, genius or not...
Jul 28, 2010, 13:44
Cool. I'll be interested to know/hear what you do with it. It's not without its limitations, although clips are, well, clips it is so drastically a different method of writing music it's worth giving a go on that basis alone. I record clips, loop and move on while dropping pre recorded samples, and mix/produce Anna live in a way I just can't with anything else.

Although a lot of the tutorials seem to focus on the arrangement view (time line) I personally rarely do any work in that view at all. I do occasionally export tracks, scenes and takes into Sonar for the production side of things (got to love those 64 bit transient processors and such). However the composition itself is completed in Ableton, by pressing record, then firing off clips, takes, playing my keyboard and twiddling a lot of midi mapped controllers. So I do the whole thing in the scene view basically. But that suits Anna & I well, and it means we have exactly the same flexibility when we perform live cos well, its no different to how we record. Most importantly we can make decisions and completely change the composition as we play. It may not suit everyone, in fact I know other people who really can't fit the way the way they work into Ableton at all.

Arguably, for a solo improv performer you may find using a sequencer like a tape recorder is still a more profitable approach. But its worth giving a whirl just to see how it changes the way you compose, overdub and generally arrange.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index