Topic View: Flat | Threaded
stray
stray
2057 posts

Edited Jul 28, 2010, 13:01
Re: Bowie, genius or not...
Jul 28, 2010, 12:41
IanB wrote:
I think if this is an issue for someone making music (or film) then your music's DNA will be structurally different than if you don't think about it. "Not better" or "worse".

Yep, agree, thats a given. But not thinking about it doesn't mean your work isn't still being profoundly influenced by these things. Edit: As in, I'm not saying its good or not either, but how much of your work is a product of your reaction to the tools ?

Happy accidents occur in both film and music making all the time, sometimes they're a result of the vagaries of the tools, sometimes they're the result of a finger slip or a cloud moving over the sun.

Whatever, what I'm getting at is that digital production, both in film and music, is not delivering the freedom that it could. I'm a post-structuralist and an ex-coder/designer, I've seen exactly the same limitation issues crop up in modelling complex systems. Our solution for that was to model the process, not the data. We could take the same approach with all creative digital tools, the data does not have to take a form until it's process has been decided by the artist. That to me is the way forward. Let the information float about unformed until the artist has decided what to do with it. Rather than giving them set blocks, structures, formats, codecs in advance of the creative process.

Node based tools are a massive leap in that direction. However, time based media is time based media, the evil time line will arrive eventually, but it shouldn't arrive until the exact moment it is required. Also you can create time based work (generative work for example) without recourse to one at all.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index