Topic View: Flat | Threaded
stray
stray
2057 posts

Edited Jul 28, 2010, 12:07
Re: Bowie, genius or not...
Jul 28, 2010, 11:57
IanB wrote:

It strikes me that the graphic representation of the process makes you think more in terms of neatly interchangable musical blocks rather than the ebb and flow of music's "natural" liquid state as a performance in a specific time and space. The archtecture / landscape of a particular moment in time or sequence of moments seems to acquire a rigidity and presents itself as something to be worked with almost in 2D. Which may not be perceptable to the listener after the fact but maybe gets hard wired into the creators' head while they are doing that editing and mixing.

YES! That's exactly the problem and why I've switched to using Ableton, its take system while far from perfect is much better suited to improvisational work than a time line. Staring at a time line does have an over powering influence on your mindset.

This is even more of an issue in digital film making where Final Cut, Premiere, Vegas etc (anything with a time line) forces you into the mindset of an editor (with all of the rigidity you highlight above) whereas it would definitely be healthier to be thinking like a director or moreso a cinematographer. This is why I've switched most of my video work into Nuke, which gives a node based and shot-centric way of working, the edit sorts itself out later (as in, once your shots are 'done' there is, sort of, only one 'correct' edit). So I just dump my finished shots into Final cut at the end and the edit just sort of emerges. But then, my film making method is more improvisational and not so storyboard, same as the way I write music.

There are things I do to my shots in Nuke that never would have occurred to me at all staring at a time line of my whole composition. Sure, this is a result of reacting to what Nuke allows, but I'm a damn sight more in control and more free to experiment than I would be in a Time line armed only with a virtual pair of scissors and a shed load of layers.

Edit Ha, Um ah.. Basically I'm doing the same thing you describe. Whereas when you get to the production stage it goes back to liquid, all I've done is made the edit liquid again, as it should be.. um.. but again, that's my work flow and the work produced must be mirroring or revealing it to some degree.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index