Bowie, genius or not...

135 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1701 posts

Re: Bowie, genius or not...
Jul 27, 2010, 21:14
Bowie's great. Definitely not over-rated. I hesitate to use the term 'genius', but then I'd hesitate to use that term about anyone in rock n' roll.

Apart from everything else that's been mentioned, he has an incredible voice: for me he's one of the best and most distinctive singers / vocal stylists in the game. That's the main thing.

He's a showbiz trouper and a visionary artist. He bought a multimedia approach to pop and rock, balanced the experimental with the commercial, wrote and performed an incredible run of albums in a relatively short space of time and chose his collaborators and facilitators well.

If he borrowed from many sources, then many more have borrowed from him in turn. His influence equals or outweighs the degree to which he was influenced by others. And lets not forget that Bowie's adoption of The Velvet Underground, Iggy Pop, Kraftwerk etc helped bring those artists to a wider audience.

Personally, he remains a fairly central pivot on which the rest of my musical universe turns.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index