S P A R K S

35 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2608 posts

Re: S P A R K S
Jul 27, 2010, 15:24
Got the Bearsville albums when they were reissued as a cut-price double in the wake of 'Kimono's success. I always preferred 'Propaganda' to 'Kimono', though to be fair they could be two halves of a double album, so similar are they in sound. I remember getting 'Propaganda' at reduced price a year after it came out, and it was pretty much welded to my dad's Goldring throughout the summer of '75. Happy days.

'Indiscreet' (1975) is also terrific: 'Hospitality On Parade' is quintessential Sparks and possibly my favourite song they've ever done. 'Big Beat' (1976) flopped, but didn't deserve to, ploughing the same (new) wave as Be Bop Deluxe. I also dug the even-stiffer 'Introducing Sparks' (1977) but by then they'd reverted to being a fully American band again, to their commercial disadvantage.

I adored the Moroder stuff for Virgin at the time, but it hasn't worn well. After that, I too lost the Sparks vibe, but never lost my respect for them. I bought 1997's classics-remade collection 'Plagiarism' VERY cheaply and really enjoyed it. Couldn't get away with that new album mind when Maconie dedicated a whole Freakzone to it a few months back, but that's not to say it wouldn't repay repeated hearings.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index