S P A R K S

35 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9570 posts

Re: S P A R K S
Jul 27, 2010, 13:44
Kid Calamity wrote:
I was a bit of a fan in the mid 70s, but then sort of lost track of them.

Me, too. I had Kimono... and Propaganda (and saw them live in 1974!), and though I liked the later singles that followed in the 70's - inc the disco one's - I never bought another Sparks record till I picked up the When I Kiss You single in the mid-90's.

Then for some reason - heard good things and saw it cheap I think! - I bought the 2000 album, Balls. And absolutely loved it!

Lil' Beethoven came next and is truly superb. Hello Young Lovers isn't far off being as good and though I was initially slightly disappointed by Exotic Creatures Of The Deep, thinking it was a bit HYL Pt II, that has turned out to be something of a cracker, too.

Should perhaps add that I've since bought a compilation of the 70's /80's stuff, too, called This Album's Big Enough... The Best Of Sparks. The 70's hits still found fab, of course, but the 80's stuff didn't make me want to go and catch up with the albums from that period. I've bought a couple more of the 70's ones though.

Still, I reckon they have made four* great albums this century which is some achievement really for an act that have been around as long as they have.

*Not heard the Ingmar Bergman one yet.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index